Nora Tyler Bing is the mother of Chandler Bing and ex-wife to Charles Bing. A graphic adult novelist, she divorced her husband when she learned of his sexuality and his affair with the pool boy when Chandler was very young (Chandler hates Thanksgiving and all Thanksgiving food because they told him they were separating at Thanksgiving dinner). Their divorce triggered Chandler to start using humor as a defense mechanism. She once tried to seduce Ross Geller; when Chandler found out, he was, at first, extremely angry with Ross, but this led to him telling Nora how he felt about her and her behavior. She appeared again at Chandler's wedding where she came face to face with her ex-husband who was now a drag queen in Las Vegas. At the wedding reception she introduces Chandler to her new boyfriend and Broadway director, Dennis Phillips, much to Joey's delight.
Morgan Fairchild, who played Chandler's sexy mom, recalls, "When they first called I thought, 'Oh my God, I'm too young to play this guy's mother.' But I had seen the show and it's such a good show, so I thought it would be fun to do. Then I got on the set and Matthew said, 'You don't remember me but my father is John Bennett Perry and I used to visit you on the set of Flamingo Road.' His dad played the sheriff on Flamingo Road and also was on Falcon Crest. So then I started thinking, maybe I am old enough to play his mother."
Fairchild is 19 years older than Matthew Perry.
- "The One With Mrs. Bing" (First appearance)
- "The One With The Princess Leia Fantasy" (Mentioned only)
- "The One Without The Ski Trip" (Mentioned only)
- "The One With The Thanksgiving Flashbacks" (Appears in flashback)
- "The One With Rachel's Big Kiss (Mentioned only)
- "The One With Monica And Chandler's Wedding, Part 1"
- "The One With Monica And Chandler's Wedding, Part 2"
- "The One After "I Do""