|The One Where Chandler Doesn't Like Dogs|
|Season 7, episode 8|
|154th overall episode of Friends|
|Someone steals Tag's car.|
November 23, 2000
"The One Where Chandler Doesn't Like Dogs" is the eighth episode of the seventh season of Friends, which aired on NBC on November 23, 2000. A beaming Rachel is happily surprised when her assistant Tag shows up at the gang's Thanksgiving dinner. Phoebe sneaks a puppy, named Clunkers, into the apartment, forcing Chandler to confess that he is afraid of dogs.
It's Thanksgiving and Rachel has invited her assistant Tag over for dinner. She learns that his girlfriend has just dumped him that morning and debates whether or not she should make a move. Joey gives away that Rachel likes him, and while Rachel tries to explain, Tag sees his car being stolen and runs off.
Phoebe, staying with Monica and Chandler after the fire in her own apartment, secretly keeps a dog in her room that she is watching for some friends. Everybody thought Chandler was allergic to dogs but the truth is that he has a lifelong fear of dogs. They bring the dog to Ross's apartment because Chandler can't handle it being there, but Monica secretly sneaks it back into the apartment. To cover for Monica, Ross tells Chandler he can't go in the bedroom because Monica's crying over Chandler making the dog leave. Chandler goes to Ross's to bring the dog back and make Monica happy, and when it's not there he thinks the dog escaped and goes all over the apartment looking for it.
After Chandler reveals a game where the player has to name all fifty states, noting that everyone always forgets a few, Ross becomes fixated with completing the game before he allows himself to eat any of Thanksgiving dinner after he is only able to name forty-six. Over the course of the evening, he remembers a few other states, such as when Tag mentions that his girlfriend went back to Ohio, but even after working until midnight, he only reaches fifty states by naming Nevada twice.
Tag eventually comes back and finishes the conversation with Rachel, ending in them kissing.
Cast and Crew
Kevin S. Bright
- When Ross says "she just ate a treat out of my hand", you can see Phoebe hiding her laughter by burying her head inside the dog's fur.
- It is revealed in this episode that Ross doesn't like ice cream. This is probably why he said "Let's go get some frozen yogurt or something" to Rachel in "The One Where Ross And Rachel Take A Break". Despite this, in "The One After The Superbowl, Part 2" and "The One Where Ross Dates A Student", he is seeing eating ice cream. First with Marcel and the next time with Elizabeth (Although it may be that he simply brought the ice cream for Marcel and didn't want to make himself look foolish in front of Elizabeth).
- This is the second time that Phoebe was somewhat subtly disguised under the alias of "Phyllis". The first time this happened was when she wrote about Monica and Chandler in "The One Where Ross Meets Elizabeth's Dad".
- In the uncut DVD version of the episode, an extra scene shows Chandler go to Ross's apartment to get Clunkers. When he can't find the dog, he looks at the open door and assumes Clunkers escaped.
- In previous episodes (since Ugly Naked Guy lived there), it's shown that Ross' apartment is at least 1 floor lower than Monica's, so it shouldn't be possible to look inside Monica's place from Ross' place (Monica sees how Rachel is sitting in the couch feeding the dog). But it can be argued that Phoebe and Ross discovered the relationship between Monica and Chandler from this apartment only.
- In previous episode, when Chandler doesn't want to spend all his money on the wedding, he describes to Monica how their live would be with those money. Then he says he wants a cat, but Monica says "By cat you mean a dog, right?" and he agrees with her without saying anything about hating dogs; most likely Monica didn't know about his alleged allergy at this point.
- Surprisingly, Rachel is able to find 48 states even though she isn't usually pictured as really smart.
| Preceded by|
"The One With Ross' Library Book"
|Series Seven Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With All The Candy"