|The One Where Emma Cries|
|Season 9, episode 2|
|196th overall episode of Friends|
|Rachel can't get Emma to stop crying.|
October 3, 2002
"The One Where Emma Cries" is the second episode of the ninth season of Friends, which aired on NBC on October 3, 2002. Joey's attempts to gain Ross's forgiveness for mistakenly asking Rachel to marry him only result in emergency hospitalization. A weary Rachel seeks any remedy to quell baby Emma's nonstop crying.
Rachel adores a sleeping Emma so much that she, much to Phoebe's protest, wakes her up, which indeed turns out to be a very bad decision: Emma doesn't stop crying. When Emma keeps crying for several hours, it drives not only Rachel, but also Monica and Phoebe crazy. The problem is surprisingly easy solved turns out: when Monica holds her, she stops crying immediately, leading to Monica being hired as the "official baby crier stopper".
Ross finds out that when Rachel thought Joey was proposing to her she said yes. Ross makes a big problem out of it and doesn't say a single word to Joey anymore. When they meet at Central Perk and Joey persuades Ross that they have to talk about it, Ross freaks out and starts yelling. Joey's way to solve the conflict, Ross hitting him, makes things only worse: Joey ducks away and Ross breaks his thumb on lamppost that stands behind Joey. Joey tries to show Ross that that is a natural instinct, but Ross doesn't duck and gets hit again. Ross and Joey have to go to the hospital, where Joey fills in Ross' forms. Ross puts Rachel as his emergency contact, which he describes as his "my roommate", but Joey convinces him that he's so much more to Rachel. Ross comes home and wants to start the topic of dating again, but Rachel's too tired of Emma and only wants something else: sleep.
Chandler couldn't sleep all night because he was worried about a very important meeting he has to go to at work. The result is that he's very tired and starts to fall asleep during the meeting, resulting in him accepting to run the office in Tulsa, even having to move there. Monica doesn't want to move to Oklahoma, but Chandler screws his attempt to get out of it: he calls his boss by the wrong name, mistakenly calls her daughter her son and ends up telling a story that he loves to go to Tulsa.
Cast and Crew
Dana Klein Borkow
- Emma keeps crying no matter who holds her and only stops when Monica does it. This is the exact opposite to her brother Ben when he was a baby, who only cried when Monica held him and stopped when someone else did it ("The One With The Baby On The Bus").
- This is one of the rare episodes that doesn't show Monica's or Joey's apartment.
- This is the first appearance of Central Perk and Gunther since "The One Where Rachel Is Late" (S8E22).
- Rachel's hair is several inches longer than at the end of the previous episode although it is supposed to be a direct continuation.
- Ross’s birthday is inconsistent. In this episode Ross says his birthday is October 18. Also, in "The One With Five Steaks And An Eggplant" (S2E5) (which aired October 19) Ross is taken to a Hootie and the Blowfish concert on his birthday. However, in "The One With George Stephanopoulos" (S1E4), Joey and Chandler buy Rangers' tickets to celebrate Ross's birthday on October 20, and Ross says that his birthday was seven months ago, implying his birthday is in March. Furthermore, in "The One With Joey's New Girlfriend" (S4E5), Ross tells Gunther his birthday is in December.
- In the coffee house, when Ross and Joey are having a fight about Joey's proposal to Rachel, Ross does the "quote gesture" with his hands and Joey says he doesn't know what this means. However, he used this gesture twice in the previous season. In "The One With Rachel's Date" (S8E5) and "The One With The Secret Closet" (S8E14). He also used it early in season five, in "The One With Chandler's Work Laugh" (S5E12), and later in season six, in "The One With Mac And C.H.E.E.S.E" (S6E20).
- The post Ross punches is clearly flexible plastic.
- When Ross and Rachel are talking about which muffin she wants, her sleeves move up and down her arms with the different shots.
- When Rachel wakes up Emma during a nap, against Phoebe's advice, there is a shot of Emma in the cot. She is wearing a plain pink hat, but in the next shot, when Rachel lifts her out of the cot, she is wearing a white hat with what looks like little flowers on it.
| Preceded by|
"The One Where No One Proposes"
|Season Nine Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With The Pediatrician"