|The One Where Joey Speaks French|
|Season 10, episode 13|
|231st overall episode of Friends|
|Rachel tries to get Ross to sleep with her.|
February 19, 2004
"The One Where Joey Speaks French" is the thirteenth episode of the tenth season of Friends, which aired on February 19, 2004.
Ross accompanies Rachel to Long Island after Rachel's father has a heart attack. Rachel wants Ross to sleep with her and Ross wants to sleep with Rachel to comfort her, but he doesn't want to take advantage of her vulnerable state. They argue and Ross yells that they should never have sex again... right as Rachel's father appears behind him and glares at him with a deadly look. However at the end of the episode they both decide that it's just too good. And Rachel admits with them its 'Never off the table.'
Erica comes to town and Monica and Chandler find out that the baby's father could be two different people: a guy who was good-looking and went to college on a scholarship, or a guy who is in prison for killing his father with a shovel. However Monica soon finds out the good-looking man has to be the father and not the 'shovel killer.' It seems Erica doesn't quite understand how a baby is made.
Phoebe, back from her honeymoon, helps Joey prepare for an audition by teaching him how to speak French. Joey does not progress well and just speaks gibberish, thinking he's doing a great job. Phoebe quits at first, but later goes to the audition and explains to the director in French that Joey is her mentally disabled younger brother so he'll take pity on Joey.
Cast and Crew
Hira Ambrosino - Nurse
Anna Faris - Erica
André Fortin - The Guy on the Tape
Ron Leibman - Dr. Leonard Green
Alex Craig Mann - Casting Director
Tim Rhoze - Director
Cali Sheldon - Emma Geller-Green
Noelle Sheldon - Emma Geller-Green
- The Magna Doodle in this episode shows a drawing of an old-fashioned deep sea diver trying to retrieve a sunken treasure that is being defended by a giant squid
- This is the last episode with Joey's name in the title.
- This is the last episode to show Monica's bedroom.
- This is the last appearance of Ron Leibman as Dr. Leonard Green.
- This is the only episode in which Dr. Green appears and does not wear his glasses at all; but only because they don't appear at all in this episode, while in all of Dr. Green's previous appearances, he was seen wearing them at various points:
- The movie Ross watches in Dr. Green's hospital room is the 1969 film The Valley of Gwangi.
- In the French version, Joey is learning how to speak Spanish. Also the title for the French version is "Celui qui baragouinait" (The One Who Was Jabbering). It is a cross reference between the two neighboring countries, because in "The One Where The Stripper Cries" (S10E11), during the Pyramid game show, there's a quiz where Joey's partner says some Spanish words and in the Spanish version of this episode, he says French words.
- More recent reruns on Nick@Nite cut out Phoebe calling Joey "Retarded" in French, but the subtitles still read "He's my little bother," instead of changing the coma into a period. The original line is still intact when the episode is shown on TBS.
- When Phoebe talks to the casting director, she calls her village 'Estee Lauder' though this is obviously a refrence to Estée Lauder Companies, a pioneering cosmetics company. It is based in Manhattan, near where the gang lives.
- When Ross and Rachel are in her bedroom, there are posters for Shawn Cassidy's 1978 album "Under Wraps", Duran Duran's 1984 album "Arena" and The Thompson Twins' 1984 album "Into The Gap"
- The sign above the phone in Joey's apartment says "FIVE CARD CHARLIE PAYS 5 TO 1"
- Lisa Kudrow and Matt LeBlanc, as well as Matthew Perry, actually speak French fluently.
- The lines that Phoebe says in French:
- Oui, bien sur je parle Français! Qu'est-ce que tu penses alors? (Yes, of course I speak French! What did you think?)
- Tout le plaisir est pour moi, mon ami (The pleasure is all mine, my friend)
- Je m'appelle Claude (My name is Claude)
- Oh, mon Dieu! (Oh, my God!)
- Ecoutez, je vais vous dire la vérité. C'est mon petit frère. Il est un peu retardé, alors si vous pouviez jouer le jeu avec lui. (Listen, I'm going to tell you the truth. This is my little brother. He is a little retarded. So, if you could, just play along with him.)
- Merci, au revoir. (Thank you. Goodbye)
- In the uncut DVD version, Phoebe says to the gang that she isn't supposed to mention that Mike didn't poop the whole time they were on their honeymoon, and says she meant he's at a gig. Also, when Ross suggests that Monica and Chandler should take Erica to a museum, Monica quotes Chandler where he says, "You call this art? I can do that". Chandler then responds with, "It was a tower of sponges!" Also when Leonard wakes up, Ross shouts Rachel's name and she comes in to see her father, asking how he is.
- Rachel says that Ross uses her full name when saying "Rachel Green's room," however it was established in "The One With Mrs. Bing" (S1E11) that Rachel's full name is Rachel Karen Green. However this is debatable, since "full name" can simply refer to the surname paired with the first name when two people are usually on a first name basis.
- When Phoebe is talking to the Casting Director and tells him in French that Joey is 'A little retarded.', the subtitles misspelled retarded. Instead they spelled it 'retarted'. This is corrected in the DVD version.
- When Joey first asked Phoebe to help him speak French, Rachel said she didn't know Phoebe spoke French. But in "The One With The Rumor" (S8E9), Phoebe told Rachel that she and some other people would meet behind a dumpster to learn French.
- When Chandler, Monica and Erica arrive back at the apartment after sightseeing, Chandler enters the apartment from the left (past where their apartment door is) rather than from the right, as if he came up the stairs. He obviously is entering from the stage and didn't take the time or cue to appear to enter from the direction of the stairs.
- When Joey is calling Phoebe after she walked out of his apartment, the shadow of a camera can be seen on Monica's door.
- When Ross and Rachel are in Rachel's apartment, standing in the kitchen they are discussing not having sex anymore and what a waste it would be. Ross says, "I hate waste." The next reverse shot with Ross's back to the camera, you can see him completing the mouthing of the words "I hate waste" even though he already said that in the previous shot when Rachel's back was to the camera.
| Preceded by|
"The One With Phoebe's Wedding"
|Series Ten Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With Princess Consuela"
|<< Season 9||Season 10|
|#01||"The One After Joey And Rachel Kiss"||#07||"The One With The Home Study"||#13||"The One Where Joey Speaks French"|
|#02||"The One Where Ross Is Fine"||#08||"The One With The Late Thanksgiving"||#14||"The One With Princess Consuela"|
|#03||"The One With Ross' Tan"||#09||"The One With The Birth Mother"||#15||"The One Where Estelle Dies"|
|#04||"The One With The Cake"||#10||"The One Where Chandler Gets Caught||#16||"The One With Rachel's Going Away Party"|
|#05||"The One Where Rachel's Sister Babysits"||#11||"The One Where The Stripper Cries"||#17||"The Last One, Part 1"|
|#06||"The One With Ross's Grant"||#12||"The One With Phoebe's Wedding"||#18||"The Last One, Part 2"|