|The One Where Joey Tells Rachel|
|Season 8, episode 16|
|186th overall episode of Friends|
|Joey tells Rachel that he is in love with her.|
February 28, 2002
"The One Where Joey Tells Rachel" is the sixteenth episode of the eighth season of Friends, which aired on February 28, 2002.
Ross freaks out when Joey tells him that he is in love with Rachel. He, and Gunther too, wonders why Joey has to fall in love with Rachel and not one of the other million girls out there. He's afraid that they will get married and raise his kid together, while on some level he stills thinks that he'll end up with Rachel. Joey feels really bad about Ross, so he wants to leave the country and go to Vermont (some Joey logic here). Monica tells Ross how bad Joey feels about it and makes him realize that it's for the best if he talks to him. Ross goes to tell Joey that he doesn't hate him and Joey promises to never act on his feelings for Rachel because he won't jeopardize his friendship to Ross. But when Ross realizes that Joey really is in love for the first time he tells Joey to tell Rachel. Joey then goes on dinner with Rachel and, after much delay, finally tells her how he feels. However, Rachel doesn't feel the same way and they both start crying.
Phoebe dates a guy called Don, who she thinks is Monica's soul-mate. Much to Chandler's protest, she introduces him to Monica, who turns out to get along perfectly. It turns out that Allesandro's is one of Don's favorite restaurants and that they both want to live in a house made of cheese. When Chandler keeps acting all weird about it, Monica convinces him that she wants to live with him and not with Don.
Cast and Crew
- When Ross is talking to Joey in the kitchen of his apartment there is a turkey in the oven.
- This episode is the first of two appearances of Sam Pancake as a waiter in Friends .
- In this episode he waits Joey and Rachel at his table, but can't get rid of them because they're hugging each other in a melancholy hug. When the second waiter points this out to him, he remarks how one of them would die, hoping Rachel would be the one to do so. At the look of shock on his colleague's face, he exclaims: "What? The guy is really cute!";
- In The One With The Blind Dates, Pancake has Ross sitting on his station. When Ross' date doesn't show up (since Joey and Phoebe give her a wrong date and time, making it look like she stood Ross up), Pancake seems sorry for Ross and offers him crab cakes on the house. Ross says that he hoped to have sex that night, to which the waiter gives him a meaningful, lustful look. Ross orders only the crab cakes, which the waiter then brings.
- When Ross is looking at Joey's head shot he says "I didn't know Joey was on JAG." Harry Van Gorkum who guest stars as Don, also guest starred on "JAG" , a adventure drama show that ran from 1995-2005 that dealt with a group of military officer lawyers who investigated, prosecuted, and defended those charged with military crimes. This scene is only in the DVD-version.
- This is one of the few episodes that has only two and not three story lines.
- The Magna Doodle in this episode shows a drawing of a worried face.
- The secondary storyline is that Phoebe is dating a guy who she thinks could be Monica's soul mate, and when Chandler discusses the possibility of soul mates with Monica, she states that she doesn't believe in soul mates. But at the end of Season 7, in The One With Monica And Chandler's Wedding, as part of her wedding vows, Monica calls Chandler her soul mate.
- Joey states during his conversation with Ross that this is the first time he's actually in love with someone, but he already said that when he fell in love with Kate in Season 3. However, this time, his falling in love did not stem from recent sexual fantasies, nor have the two had sex.
- When Joey tells Rachel about his feelings for her, if you listen closely, Matt LeBlanc says "Jen" instead of "Rachel" or "Rach".
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Birthing Video"
|Season Eight Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With The Tea Leaves"
|<< Season 7||Season 8||Season 9 >>|
|#01||"The One After 'I Do'"||#09||"The One With The Rumor"||#17||"The One With The Tea Leaves"|
|#02||"The One With The Red Sweater"||#10||"The One With Monica's Boots"||#18||"The One In Massapequa"|
|#03||"The One Where Rachel Tells..."||#11||"The One With Ross's Step Forward"||#19||"The One With Joey's Interview"|
|#04||"The One With The Videotape"||#12||"The One Where Joey Dates Rachel||#20||"The One With The Baby Shower"|
|#05||"The One With Rachel's Date"||#13||"The One Where Chandler Takes A Bath"||#21||"The One With The Cooking Class"|
|#06||"The One With The Halloween Party"||#14||"The One With The Secret Closet"||#22||"The One Where Rachel Is Late"|
|#07||"The One With The Stain"||#15||"The One With The Birthing Video"||#23||"The One Where Rachel Has A Baby, Part 1"|
|#08||"The One With The Stripper"||#16||"The One Where Joey Tells Rachel"||#24||"The One Where Rachel Has A Baby, Part 2"|