|The One Where Monica Sings|
|Season 9, episode 13|
|207th overall episode of Friends|
|Monica enjoys the attention she gets on stage.|
January 30, 2003
"The One Where Monica Sings" is the thirteenth episode of season nine of Friends. It aired on January 30, 2003.
Phoebe convinces Monica to come to Mike's karaoke night at a bar, but tells her she doesn't have to sing. However, she gets Monica to change her mind who starts to sing and is appluaded by the mostly male audience because you can see through her shirt. Chandler arrives later on and notices it and tries to get her to stop, but she decides to continue anyway.
Ross tells Chandler about him seeing Rachel kiss Gavin on the balcony after the party and says if she wants to move on then so will he. He goes to Central Perk to attempt to pick up girls failing drastically. Meanwhile, Gavin comes over to talk to Rachel about the situation with Ross, Rachel says it's fine but makes him hide when she hears someone entering the apartment (which turns out to be Emma's nanny, Molly) which shows to Gavin that there is something wrong. He tells Rachel to talk to Ross. Meanwhile, a woman named Michelle enters the coffeehouse crying for a recent breakup, Ross makes his move and brings her to his apartment. Rachel comes back in and finds Ross and Michelle already feels a connection. Ross admits it was a rebound after she leaves after saying he saw Rachel kiss Gavin. She says it was a one time thing but Ross reveals about how she gave her number to a man at the bar. Ross tells how he called her and he put the message in his back pocket, frustrating Rachel for hiding her messages. She moves out and goes back to live with Joey.
Meanwhile, Joey gets his eyebrows waxed but it hurts after the first one is plucked so he leaves. Chandler does the other one for him after revealing how he'd get his allowance by plucking the eyebrows out of his dad and co-workers ahead of performances.
Cast and Crew
Paul Rudd - Mike Hannigan
Dermot Mulroney - Gavin
Melissa George - Molly
Jennifer Aspen - Michelle
Lori Alan - Sonya
Lisa Calderon - Michelle's Friend
Kristen Ariza - The Receptionist
DeAnna Steele - The Woman
Megan Linder - Woman #2
Gregory Graham - Coffee Shop Patron
- This episode was used by the Liberal Democrats in the 2010 UK General Election Campaign to advocate for electoral reform
- This is the last appearance of Dermot Mulroney as Gavin Mitchell.
- This is the last appearance of Melissa George as Molly.
- This is the last episode to have Monica's name in the title.
- Chandler comments that Ross has two illegitimate children, but Ben was actually legitimate even if his parents (Carol and Ross) were divorced because he was conceived the one time that Carol and Ross had sex after she revealed she was a lesbian. If a child is conceived while the parents are married, they are legitimate even if they divorce.
- At the piano bar, the following songs are performed:
- The place where the gang sings is a piano bar and cabaret called "Don't Tell Mama", the same name as a real life establishment.
- Rachel moves out of Ross' and moves back in with Joey in this episode. Rachel then moves back in with Ross in the series finale when they get back together.
- During the argument between Rachel and Ross at his apartment, Rachel's shirt is inside out.
| Preceded by|
"The One With Phoebe's Rats"
|Season Nine Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With The Blind Dates"