|The One Where No One Proposes|
|Season 9, episode 1|
|195th overall episode of Friends|
|Ross, Rachel and Joey clear things up.|
September 26, 2002
Joey isn't sure what to do about the misunderstanding with Rachel that he proposed to her. He really wants to clear it up before Ross finds out to avoid a fight, but he did like that Rachel said yes to him. Meanwhile, Ross wants to talk to Rachel about starting dating again, but he is, just like Joey, interrupted every time they want to talk about Rachel. Rachel tells Phoebe that she got engaged, but Phoebe thinks that she's engaged with Ross and welcomes it. Monica is more critical and Rachel realizes that she doesn't want to marry Joey at all. When she's finally ready to tell him, she has to breastfeed Emma, which scares Joey and he runs away. Phoebe, still thinking that Ross and Rachel got engaged, wants to congratulate Ross on the engagement, and miraculously manages to convince Ross that he has proposed to Rachel.
Chandler and Monica try to conceive their own baby again, but Jack discovers them and starts peeking, much to the abomination of Monica. Monica and Chandler are very ashamed, but they decide to just walk out and tell Jack the truth, but that leads to other problems: he thinks they are doing it wrong and goes all over the hospital to get them folders on how to conceive a child, telling them some things they don't want to know in the process.
When Rachel, Ross and Joey finally clear things up, Rachel realizes that it was all her mistake and that Joey didn't propose to her at all. When she and Ross finally speak on starting dating again, they both think it's a good idea; however Ross remembers that Rachel was not only wearing the engagement ring but Phoebe thought they were engaged and works out that Rachel said yes to Joey when she thought he was proposing. Rachel is left realizing what a huge mistake she made.
Cast and Crew
Kevin S. Bright
- This is the only episode where Aunt Liddy is mentioned.
- It is revealed that Monica plays the piano. However, she didn't play the piano throughout the series.
- Monica mentions The One Where Joey Tells Rachel (S8E16) when she reminds Rachel of the time Joey told Rachel he loved her and was left heartbroken.
- When Joey is in the room with Rachel, the door behind him keeps switching from being open to closed.
- Monica, who spent her entire childhood fantasizing about her wedding, doesn't recognize that the ring on Rachel's finger is her own grandmother's wedding ring, which Ross had previously also given to Emily, however, the ring could also belong to their other grandmother. All she has to say about it is, "It is bigger than mine!"
- About halfway through the episode, Phoebe mentions that Ross was touching himself while asleep in the waiting room previously. However, when Ross becomes unsure about whether he did or did not propose to Rachel, he says that he hasn't slept in 40 hours.
- However, since it can be implied that several hours passed between the birth of Emma and the point in which Phoebe says this, and Rachel's childbirth took approximately 48 hours, Ross could have been asleep anywhere from 8 to 15 hours into Rachel's childbirth, since he would have been exhausted from coaching Rachel through her childbirth.
- When Ross and Phoebe talk about the proposal, you can see the studio reflecting in the garbage can.
- In the very last shot of the main characters in Rachel's hospital room before the opening credits roll, a boom mic is visible slightly before going out of sight.
- In every scene in Rachel's room, whenever the door is open, the waiting room is directly outside. However, in one part where Joey pokes his head in the room, there is clearly a wall behind him suggesting there is a hallway instead of the waiting room.
- In the one where Rachel is in the hospital after having Emma she is in the bed feeding Emma and Ross is sitting right beside of her. They are talking about their relationship and what should come. Rachel's hair moves from in front to behind her shoulder several times. Also, their fingers switches from being intertwined to not being intertwined several times.
- When Joey tells Chandler about seeing Rachel's breast, Chandler wonders what it looks like. But, he has already seen her breasts in The One With The Boobies.
- It's strange that neither of Rachel's parents come to visit her and Emma in the hospital. Especially since there was a whole episode about Rachel telling her father she is pregnant, and then another where her mother was planning to live with them after the baby arrives. It is also strange and wrong that Ross's ex-wife Carol and her lesbian lover Susan as well as Ross and Carol's son Ben would not come to the hospital to visit Rachel and Emma, especially since Emma is Ben's half-sister.
| Preceded by|
"The One Where Rachel Has A Baby, Part 2"
|Season Nine Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One Where Emma Cries"