|The One Where Rachel Has A Baby, Part 2|
Ross and Rachel with their baby
|Written by|| Marta Kauffman|
|Directed by||Kevin S. Bright|
|Guest stars|| Amanda Carlin - Dr. Long|
|Original airdate||May 16, 2002|
|← Previous||Next →|
| || |
"The One Where Rachel Has a Baby, Part Two" is the season finale of the eighth season of Friends. Both parts aired on May 16, 2002.
Things get a little awkward between Ross, Chandler and Janice, who are now forced to all be in the same room together. Luckily, Janice is quickly far enough to leave and go the labor room. When Rachel is about 21 hours in labor, Dr. Long comes by and tells her that she's ready to have her baby.
Joey finds out that Cliff, the cute guy Phoebe met at the elevator, seems to be a nice guy, so Phoebe enters his room. Things go really well between Phoebe and him, till he sees an episode of Days of our Lives with Joey on it on the TV. Things get worse when Joey enters and tells Phoebe that Rachel is going into labor. Phoebe then has to tell her everything about her plan with Joey, what he doesn't like at all. When Joey even tells him some personal stuff about Phoebe, they kick him out of the room. Phoebe manages to fix things and arranges a dinner with him, but he's never seen back on the show.
The child is born, but Ross and Rachel don't have a name yet. When the doctor wants to call it baby girl Green, Rachel insists on naming her baby girl Geller-Green, leading to her kissing Ross. Later, Janice steps by and tells that she admires her for her strength to raise the child on her own. When Rachel says she isn't alone because she has Ross, Janice tells her that Ross won't stay around forever and might meet someone else. Suddenly, Rachel feels very alone and she tries to talk to Ross about the kiss they had. Ross doesn't want to have a relationship with Rachel again, because if it doesn't work out it would really hurt the baby and he and Rachel are doing fine as things are now. However, Phoebe convinces him that it can work out and that he'll have everything he has dreamed of since he was fifteen. Ross decides to give it a try and buys some flowers for Rachel.
Unfortunately, Rachel doesn't know that, being really sad about Ross being reluctant about them. Joey comes by and comforts her, but when he accidentally drops Ross's coat and picks up the engagement ring Judy gave to him while sitting on one knee, she accidentally thinks Joey is proposing to her, as it does look like he is.
The baby is finally called Emma, after they can't come up with a name and Rachel likes the name that Monica wanted for her own child so much that Monica gives it away.
Cast and CrewEdit
Kevin S. Bright
Trivia and Goofs Edit
- When Emma is being placed in the room as Ross and Phoebe look on through the glass, the name above her reads "Baby Geller-Greene" rather than Green. However, this isn't the first time Green has been spelled as Greene on the show.
- Phoebe: Cliff, do you really believe that a character from a TV show was here in your room?
- Joey: (entering) Rachel’s having her baby!! (Phoebe turns and looks at him.) Which is of no interest to me, I’m a neurologist.
- Cliff: That-that’s him! You know him?
- Phoebe: Okay. Okay. I—Okay umm…this…I-I sent my friend Joey in here to find out stuff about you. Umm y’know, if it helps you came off great. A lot better than I’m coming off right now.
| Preceded by|
"The One Where Rachel Has A Baby, Part 1"
|Series Eight Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One Where No One Proposes"
|<< Season 7||Season 8||Season 9 >>|
|#01||"The One After 'I Do'"||#09||"The One With The Rumor"||#17||"The One With The Tea Leaves"|
|#02||"The One With The Red Sweater"||#10||"The One With Monica's Boots"||#18||"The One In Massapequa"|
|#03||"The One Where Rachel Tells..."||#11||"The One With Ross' Step Forward"||#19||"The One With Joey's Interview"|
|#04||"The One With The Videotape"||#12||"The One Where Joey Dates Rachel||#20||"The One With The Baby Shower"|
|#05||"The One With Rachel's Date"||#13||"The One Where Chandler Takes A Bath"||#21||"The One With The Cooking Class"|
|#06||"The One With The Halloween Party"||#14||"The One With The Secret Closet"||#22||"The One Where Rachel Is Late"|
|#07||"The One With The Stain"||#15||"The One With The Birthing Video"||#23||"The One Where Rachel Has A Baby, Part 1"|
|#08||"The One With The Stripper"||#16||"The One Where Joey Tells Rachel"||#24||"The One Where Rachel Has A Baby, Part 2"|
Janice: What happens when he gets married? Rachel: Then he gets a divorce; it's Ross!
- When Joey told Chandler "... Then she took her breast out!" Chandler asked what it looked like. However, In The One With the Boobies, Chandler saw them.
- Rachel had told her friends about the pregnancy during Chandler and Monica's wedding, in the May of 2001, and on May 16th 2002 Rachel has Emma, making her pregnancy a year, which is three months longer than the average nine month pregnancy.
- A robotic baby is used sometimes in the scene when they pass around the baby after Rachel gives birth.
- When Rachel gives birth, you see a weird substance on the baby. That substance is grape jelly.
- The song that plays when Rachel gives birth to the baby is "River of Tears" by Eric Clapton
- After Rachel has the baby and Emma is being passed around to all of them, Chandler is the only one not to hold her, even though he is her uncle.
- This episode marks the final appearances of Cliff and Dr. Long
- This is Jennifer Aniston's favorite episode.
- This is a rare episode in that neither Monica and Chandler's apartment nor Central Perk is shown.
- The song that plays when Ross leaves the elevator with flowers in hand for Rachel is "Sign on the Window" by Bob Dylan.
- In Cliff's room, Days of Our Lives is playing on the TV. This episode takes place at night, and Days of Our Lives is a daytime soap.
- Before Rachel goes to give birth, Dr. Long tells both her that she is a hero, because she spent 21 hours waiting for the baby to be born. However, when the gang first sees the baby, Chandler says that after 47 hours, the baby was finally born.
- In the very last shot of the episode, as Ross is walking down the hall, stage lights are visible at the end of the hallway
- When Rachel's baby is born, she is held up for Rachel and Ross to see, and she has no umbilical cord. There is no way the cord could have been cut that quickly.
- While Rachel is having her baby she grabs Ross by the shirt and says 'you do it for me' in the next shot her hand is nowhere near Ross. She couldn't have put her arm down that quickly.
- When Phoebe and Ross are standing in front of the window looking at all the babies and talking about why he and Rachel aren't together, some of Phoebe's hair is in front of her shoulder on the right hand side. Then the shot changes looking over Phoebe's shoulder at Ross. After that, when you see Phoebe again her hair is behind her shoulder yet she has not moved or touched her hair.
- When a nurse is putting Emma to bed we see that Emma is nicely wrapped up in a blanket. The shot then cuts and Emma's right arm is sticking out the top of the blanket.