|The One Where Rachel Quits|
|Season 3, episode 10|
|58th overall episode of Friends|
|Rachel serves her last coffee.|
December 12, 1996
"The One Where Rachel Quits" is the tenth episode of the third season of Friends, which aired in December 12, 1996
When Gunther tells Rachel that Terry wants her to take training again, Rachel realizes how much she hates her job. Chandler and Joey talk her into quitting, which she does. She regrets this soon after, when she's still without a lead on her career a day before her last one as a waitress at Central Perk.
Ross accidentally breaks the leg of a girl called Sarah Tuttle, a Brown Bird who is unable to sell Christmas cookies because of this. Out of guilt, Ross sells them in her place in the hope of winning her the first prize trip to Space Camp. He is ousted, however, by girls who have sold hundreds of boxes of cookies. When, as a last desperate attempt, Ross buys enough boxes to top the sales, he is yet again ousted by another girl, but he does make Sarah feel better when, instead of giving her a trip to Space Camp, he takes her at Joey and Chandler's, who have decorated their apartment in a space theme and make her spin in one of the barcaloungers while the guys fool around like aliens.
Phoebe can't stand to see Christmas trees being cut down and sold to "serve their Christmas destiny", but she also puts Joey's job as a tree-seller in jeopardy when she goes to see him at work and witnesses the mutilation of an old tree in the chipper. As a friendly gesture, Monica and Joey take the trees to be chipped to Monica's apartment and set them up there. To top it all, Rachel receives a call from Fortunata Fashions, where Joey had managed to appoint her for an interview. She gets the job in fashion, and works her last day at Central Perk with a more lifted spirit (although she does mistake Chandler's order and brings him coffee instead of tea). Finally relieved that she never has to make coffee again, Rachel is appalled to find out her new job at Fortunata Fashions consists of nothing but making coffee for Mr Kapman Sr, her new boss.
Cast and Crew
- It's revealed that as a girl, Monica gained weight when she joined the Brown Birds. Apparently she ate so many cookies that her father had to buy all the boxes.
- Monica doesn't lose her weight to her present figure until 1988, as can be seen in The One With The Thanksgiving Flashbacks.
- Being a naturalist, Phoebe cares for trees. In this episode, she can't stand the trees being cut down and dressed for Christmas. In The One With The Cop, while sporting her newfound police badge, she "arrests" a woman for putting a cigarette out on a tree trunk.
- Chandler mentions when Rachel sent out resumes in "The One With All The Poker".
- Within this episode, Joey displays a knack for lying to Phoebe, however in future episodes he is unable to lie in a believable manner, often bringing in stories about raccoons.
- Chandler states that Rachel is 28, however she has her 30th birthday in season 7, which is 4 years away from this episode. However it could be that Rachel is 26 but felt like she couldn't correct him. Since the trio are discussing "The Fear" it is more likely that Chandler is stating that he is 28 and working at a job he hates, suggesting that Rachel should not end up like him.
- Rachel quitting helps trigger a series of events which eventually lead to Ross and Rachel's break up in The One Where Ross And Rachel Take A Break.
- When the woman is going to see Ross' cookies sales, her arm is on her waist. In the next shot, her arm is up and holding a pen.
- When it is revealed that everyone had saved the trees for Phoebe, Phoebe yells "You saved them!" but her mouth is not moving. This could easily be an added voice over.
- When Rachel receives a call to inform her that she got the job, everyone has already entered the apartment and the door is closed behind Ross. However, while she is speaking and excitedly moves around the door can be seen open without anyone actually leaving the place.
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Football"
|Series Three Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One Where Chandler Can't Remember Which Sister"