|The One Where Rachel Tells...|
|Season 8, episode 3|
|173rd overall episode of Friends|
|Rachel tells Ross she's pregnant with his baby.|
October 11, 2001
The One Where Rachel Tells Ross
"The One Where Rachel Tells..." (also known as "The One Where Rachel Tells Ross") is the third episode of the eighth season of Friends, which aired on October 11, 2001.
Monica and Chandler are on their honeymoon, but another couple on their honeymoon is always ahead of them in line, getting bumped up to first class, the honeymoon suite, etc. Monica and Chandler confront them and they insist they don't need the free stuff and they just want to celebrate their love for each other, so Chandler and Monica are welcome to all that stuff as far as they are concerned. Joey and Phoebe find that Monica and Chandler have taken away the keys to their apartment. They want to get in, so Joey tells the superintendent Treeger that there's a gas leak. Treeger gets a fireman to chop down the door with an axe, and Joey and Phoebe have to call Monica and Chandler and pretend that they are the ones breaking down the door because they smell gas. Rachel announces she is ready to tell the father of her baby she is pregnant with his child today, only to learn the others already know it's Ross. Joey and Phoebe tell Ross that Rachel needs to talk to him about something important, and Ross is convinced Rachel wants to sleep with him again. When Ross gets home and finds Rachel waiting for him, he makes a big speech about how they shouldn't get back together, leaving Rachel confused. Rachel finally tells him she's pregnant and Ross freaks out when he learns that condoms are only 97% effective, leading him to call the complaint department of the condom company instead of talking with Rachel. He eventually goes to Rachel's doctor appointment and says he wants to be there through everything, and assumes they'll be getting married. Rachel says that they are not in love so she does not want to get married and that she can do this alone, but freaks out when she can't see her own baby on the ultrasound picture.
Cast and Crew
Mike Hagerty - Mr. Treeger
Amanda Carlin - Dr. Long
Lynn A. Henderson - The ticket agent
Evie Peck - The nurse
John O'Brien - The airline employee
Anita Dashiell - The front desk clerk
Shane Nickerson - The man
Laurie Naughton - The woman
- This episode's original script contained scenes where Chandler made fun of airport security and Monica seemed to issue terrorist commands to Joey and Phoebe over the phone. In the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks, this sub-plot was changed to the one with Monica and Chandler losing newlywed privileges to the couple at the airport.
- These scenes are shown on the DVD version of this episode after the closing credits
- This is Treeger's last appearance in the show. The friends last mention him in "The Last One, Part 2": Monica says he told her to leave her keys on the counter. This she does, and her friends follow her soon to leave a total of six keys. He has been in 5 episodes.
- Treeger asks Ross to tell their Yoga teacher, Jasmine, that he won't be able to make it to class. This is probably the same Jasmine who is Phoebe's former coworker (and Gunther's roommate)
- There's King Kong climbing up a building on the Magna doodle.
- The original script had the intention of a running gag that Ross, the one with a PhD, doesn't know much about many things, as he was intended to freak out about both the condom ineffectiveness and not seeing the baby on the ultrasound. However, the writers later decided that it would make more sense for Rachel, being the inexperienced mother, to freak out about the ultrasound, so the script was changed and the episode was shown that way.
- In this episode, Phoebe wears a red sweater that looks similar to Ross's red sweater from the previous episode, "The One With The Red Sweater".
- Ross claims that Rachel cannot be a single mother because she cannot even eat alone at a restaurant, even though in The One Where Chandler Crosses The Line, Rachel eats alone at a restaurant just fine, although this was a subplot only included in the uncut DVD version, and not in any other releases or syndicated reruns.
- Ross tells Rachel he will be there for her through everything, including baby proofing the apartment. Ironically, when Rachel baby proof's Joey's apartment in The One With The Boob Job, (S9E16) Ross is not there to help her.
- During the opening scene of the episode, Chandler walks into a room. When he comes out of that room in the same scene, his hair is significantly shorter. This is a mistake as his hair is how it was before he came out of the room for the rest of the episode.
- When Joey and Phoebe call Monica about the supposed gas leak in her apartment, they are pretending that they need to break down the door to enter it. But they are calling from the apartment's phone and Monica would have seen her home phone number when she answered her cell phone and known they weren't telling the truth.
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Red Sweater"
|Season Eight Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With The Videotape"
|<< Season 7||Season 8||Season 9 >>|
|#01||"The One After 'I Do'"||#09||"The One With The Rumor"||#17||"The One With The Tea Leaves"|
|#02||"The One With The Red Sweater"||#10||"The One With Monica's Boots"||#18||"The One In Massapequa"|
|#03||"The One Where Rachel Tells..."||#11||"The One With Ross's Step Forward"||#19||"The One With Joey's Interview"|
|#04||"The One With The Videotape"||#12||"The One Where Joey Dates Rachel||#20||"The One With The Baby Shower"|
|#05||"The One With Rachel's Date"||#13||"The One Where Chandler Takes A Bath"||#21||"The One With The Cooking Class"|
|#06||"The One With The Halloween Party"||#14||"The One With The Secret Closet"||#22||"The One Where Rachel Is Late"|
|#07||"The One With The Stain"||#15||"The One With The Birthing Video"||#23||"The One Where Rachel Has A Baby, Part 1"|
|#08||"The One With The Stripper"||#16||"The One Where Joey Tells Rachel"||#24||"The One Where Rachel Has A Baby, Part 2"|