|The One Where Ross And Rachel Take A Break|
|Season 3, episode 15|
|63rd overall episode of Friends|
|Ross and Rachel talking about recent events – wondering if being together is the right way to go.|
February 13, 1997
"The One Where Ross And Rachel Take A Break" is the fifteenth episode of the third season of Friends, which aired on February 13, 1997. It marks the start of the 'We were on a break' era that carries on for a long time afterwards.
When Chloe, "the hot girl from the Xerox place", asks Joey and Chandler what they're doing that night, they think she's offering a threesome, but she just invites them to a club.
Phoebe is going out with Sergei, a diplomat from a foreign country, who can't string two words in English together. Although Phoebe doesn't mind this, she's a little annoyed by Mischa, his translator, who follows them on dates and keeps interrupting with out-of-place translations. Phoebe invites Monica to date the translator, and Monica accepts. However, Mischa and Monica hit it off and spend the whole date talking, leaving Sergei and Phoebe unable to communicate. After getting into an argument with Sergei, Mischa resigns his post and leaves the restaurant, taking Monica with him. Phoebe and Sergei remain alone at the restaurant, with nothing to say to each other.
Ross is at Monica's, waiting for Rachel to come from work and celebrate their anniversary. However, when he calls her at work, Rachel tells him that it's unlikely that she will make it for the night. Ross decides to go to Rachel's workplace with a picnic basket. Rachel doesn't have the time nor the mind to hang out with Ross, but he continues to get in her way until she tells him to leave. Later that night, she returns home expecting an apology from Ross.They argue, and when Ross brings up Mark's name, Rachel is exasperated and can't handle it anymore, stating that what they need is to "take a break ... a break from us". Ross leaves without another word.
Rachel waits by the phone for Ross to call, but when the phone rings, it's Mark. When he hears Rachel's sad tone, he offers to come over. Meanwhile, at the pub, Joey and Chandler are bored to death with Chloe's talk about copying machines, when Ross enters. Chloe knows him well, since he visits her shop often with stuff for her to copy. He tells Joey and Chandler that he and Rachel are breaking up, and they tell him to call her. When he does, he hears Marks voice in the background, assumes the worst, and hangs up.
Rachel tries calling Ross again, but he's not home. At the bar, Chloe tries to cheer him up by drinking with him. When Ross' favorite song, U2's With Or Without You, comes up, she drags him to the dance-floor. He starts finding solace in Chloe and doesn't object when she makes a move on him. A few seconds later, they start kissing...
Cast and Crew
- Jennifer Aniston - Rachel Green
- Courtney Cox - Monica Geller
- Lisa Kudrow - Phoebe Buffay
- Matt LeBlanc - Joey Tribbiani
- Matthew Perry - Chandler Bing
- David Schwimmer - Ross Geller
- Steven Eckholdt - Mark Robinson
- Stephen Kearney - Mischa
- Jim Pirri - Sergei
- Angela Featherstone - Chloe
- Laura Dean - Sophie
- Maury Ginsberg - Isaac
- James Michael Tyler - Gunther
- This is the first appearance of Laura Dean as Sophie.
- This is the first appearance of Chloe, often mentioned by the guys as "the hot girl from the Xerox place with the belly button ring" in previous episodes. Ironically, the one to end up sleeping with her (Ross) is the one shown to have fantasized about her the least.
- This is the first appearance of Isaac, who is the brother of Phoebe's massage co-worker Jasmine.
- The scene where the song "With or Without You" by U2 plays with an upset Ross and Rachel in separate places thinking about each other is a reference to "The One With The List" (S2E8).
- Joey says it's 4:30pm and he and Chandler are meeting up with Chloe at 10:30pm, yet it's dark outside. -This is probably not a goof. During certain times of the year it gets dark that early.
- In Rachel's office, when the fire starts, you can clearly see that the candle is about a feet away and could not have ignited the plants.
| Preceded by|
"The One With Phoebe's Ex-Partner"
|Series Three Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With The Morning After"
|<< Season 2||Season 3||Season 4 >>|
|#01||"The One With The Princess Leia Fantasy"||#10||"The One Where Rachel Quits"||#19||"The One With The Tiny T-Shirt"|
|#02||"The One Where No One's Ready"||#11||"The One Where Chandler Can't Remember Which Sister"||#20||"The One With The Dollhouse"|
|#03||"The One With The Jam"||#12||"The One With All The Jealousy||#21||"The One With A Chick And A Duck"|
|#04||"The One With The Metaphorical Tunnel"||#13||"The One Where Monica And Richard Are Friends"||#22||"The One With The Screamer"|
|#05||"The One With Frank Jr."||#14||"The One With Phoebe's Ex-Partner"||#23||"The One With Ross' Thing"|
|#06||"The One With The Flashback"||#15||"The One Where Ross And Rachel Take A Break"||#24||"The One With The Ultimate Fighting Champion"|
|#07||"The One With The Race Car Bed"||#16||"The One With The Morning After"||#25||"The One At The Beach"|
|#08||"The One With The Giant Poking Device"||#17||"The One Without The Ski Trip"|
|#09||"The One With The Football"||#18||"The One With The Hypnosis Tape"|