|"The One Where Ross Hugs Rachel"|
Ross hugs Rachel
|Written by||Shana Goldberg-Meehan|
|Directed by||Gail Mancuso|
|Guest stars|| Ron Glass as Russell |
Alex Kapp Horner as Stephanie
Tembi Locke as Karin
Janelle Paradee as Meg
James Michael Tyler as Gunther
|Original airdate||September 30, 1999|
|← Previous||Next →|
| || |
"The One Where Ross Hugs Rachel" is the second episode of the sixth season of Friends, which aired on September 30, 1999.
Ross tells Rachel that he got the annulment, but he confesses to Phoebe that he didn't because he doesn't want to have three failed marriages. Phoebe proves to Ross that it isn't that big of problem: they tell the whole story to a group of girls, none of whom seem to care too much about the three divorces, however one of them insists she wouldn't date him while he's still married and another says that she thinks he's still in love with Rachel, which Phoebe insists is true. Ross insists that isn't true and decides to get the annulment, but it turns out that won't be as easy as he'd hoped because they both have to appear before a judge in order to have the marriage annulled.
Chandler and Monica tell everyone they're going to move in together. Joey is really upset about Chandler moving out because Chandler is the best roommate ever. When Monica tells Rachel, she mistakenly thinks the three of us are going to live together and is really excited about it, but it drives Chandler crazy. When Monica finally manages to tell Rachel that she and Chandler want to live on their own, Rachel isn't upset at all. This upsets Monica, because she thinks she deserves at least a few tears. However, it turns out that Rachel isn't upset because she doesn't think they're gonna go through with it: they also cancelled their wedding in Vegas. When Monica tells her that it really is gonna happen, and that she and Rachel really aren't going to be roommates anymore, Rachel becomes quite upset and cries, saying it's the end of an era.
Moments later, Ross walks in, wanting to tell Rachel about the marriage, but she's really upset about moving out, and Ross instead hugs Rachel to comfort her. However, as he hugs her he realizes that, despite his protests to the contrary, he really is in love with her.
Cast and CrewEdit
- Rather than provide a recap, the beginning of this episode is almost identical to the ending for the previous episode.
- In this episode Chandler says that Joey is surprisingly strict about sweets, but in "The One With The Kips" Joey leaves Rolos everywhere. This may not be a goof, Chandler may be referring to the kind of sweets rather than what he allows to be done with them.
- Throughout this episode Monica and Rachel keep saying that they've lived together for six years. However since this is the start of the sixth season, they have only lived together for the previous five years.
- Chandler and Joey only have one microwave again. The one that was above the sink is replaced with a paper towel holder.
- When Ross and Rachel leave Central Perk to go to the movies, Rachel says that they're going to the Angelika, which Rachel says is "right up here". Central Perk is in the middle of the West Village. The Angelika is farther south, on the border between the Village and SoHo, so a New Yorker would refer to it as "down", not "up".
- Ross said to his divorce attorney that this was his second marriage in two years. However, they went to Vegas on Monica and Chandler's first anniversary, which would be exactly one year after the day before Ross' first marriage, where they got together in London. So, if Ross got married the first day they were in Vegas (as implied in The One In Vegas), he got married twice in the same year. He also breaks his new year resolution from The One With All The Resolutions by getting divorced again. Resolutions are meant to be broken
| Preceded by|
"The One After Vegas"
|The One Where Ross Hugs Rachel|| Followed by |
"The One With Ross' Denial"
|<< Season 5||Season 6||Season 7 >>|
|#01||"The One After Vegas"||#10||"The One With The Routine"||#19||"The One With Joey's Fridge"|
|#02||"The One Where Ross Hugs Rachel"||#11||"The One With The Apothecary Table"||#20||"The One With Mac And C.H.E.E.S.E."|
|#03||"The One With Ross' Denial"||#12||"The One With The Joke||#21||"The One Where Ross Meets Elizabeth's Dad"|
|#04||"The One Where Joey Loses His Insurance"||#13||"The One With Rachel's Sister"||#22||"The One Where Paul's The Man"|
|#05||"The One With Joey's Porsche"||#14||"The One Where Chandler Can't Cry"||#23||"The One With The Ring"|
|#06||"The One On The Last Night"||#15||"The One That Could Have Been, Part 1"||#24||"The One With The Proposal, Part 1"|
|#07||"The One Where Phoebe Runs"||#16||"The One That Could Have Been, Part 2"||#25||"The One With The Proposal, Part 2"|
|#08||"The One With Ross' Teeth"||#17||"The One With Unagi"|
|#09||"The One Where Ross Got High"||#18||"The One Where Ross Dates A Student"|