Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|The One Where Ross Is Fine|
|Season 10, episode 2|
|220th overall episode of Friends|
|Ross pretends to be fine.|
October 2, 2003
"The One Where Ross Is Fine" is the second episode of the tenth season of Friends, which aired on October 2, 2003.
Ross deals with finding out about Rachel and Joey's relationship almost as well as when he found out about Monica and Chandler - that is, not well at all - but out of loyalty and embarrassment, maintains that he is 'fine'. The only problem is that everyone can see through his ruse: the word 'fine' keeps coming out all high-pitched and squeaky.
In an attempt to prove that he is completely 'fine' with the new relationship, Ross invites Rachel and Joey to a dinner party with him and Charlie. Before dinner, however, Ross is obviously tense and anxious, almost on the verge of tears. When Joey suggests a drink to calm Ross' nerves, the latter quickly goes overboard, becoming so drunk that he forgets to use oven mitts to carry a steaming dish of fajitas to the table – not even noticing the pain in his hands until Rachel points out his mistake. After a while of this drunken inappropriateness, Rachel and Charlie go home, leaving Joey in charge of Ross. In the morning, the two men talk, and Ross decides he will get used to Joey and Rachel being together.
Meanwhile, Frank Jr., Phoebe's half-brother, comes into town with his kids to visit the Friends. He is completely wrung out and exhausted, claiming that he "hasn't slept in four year", and the triplets are running around making complete troublemakers of themselves in the coffeehouse. He wants Phoebe to take one of them to live with her so that he can manage the other two, but upon closer inspection of which one, he realizes that he loves them all to much to let any of them go.
During this family reunion, Monica and Chandler away from the others meeting Phoebe's friends Bill and Colleen to learn about the particulars of adoption: they adopted their son Owen at birth and know a lot about the process. All goes well, to the point that Monica and Chandler are gaining a lot of knowledge – until Chandler runs into Owen on the way to the bathroom, mentioning Bob and Colleen's help in explaining "how they adopted you", only to find that Owen knew nothing about his adoption. Panicking, Chandler tells Monica what he's done and the two attempt to make a hasty exit – but don't manage to get out before Owen tells his parents about Chandler's 'big reveal'. The boy is completely distraught, but seems even more upset after, in the middle of a rant at Bob and Colleen, Chandler suggests that Santa isn't real. And then, to top it all off, back at the coffeehouse, Chandler manages to tell the triplets Phoebe gave birth to them. Oops…
Cast and Crew
Allisyn Ashley Arm - Leslie Buffay
Sierra Marcoux - Chandler Buffay
Jim Meskimen - Bill
Dante Pastula - Frank Buffay Jr. Jr.
Giovanni Ribisi - Frank Buffay Jr.
John Damien Ryan - Coffee Shop Patron
Daryl Sabara - Owen
Aisha Tyler - Charlie Wheeler
Kellie Waymire - Colleen
Mary Castro - Coffee Patron
- This is the final appearance of Giovanni Ribisi as Frank Buffay Jr.
- This is the first appearance of Frank Jr since "The One Hundredth" (S5E3), a span of 120 episodes.
- This episode starts where the last episode ends, but with some differences. At the end of the previous episode, Rachel is the first to break the silence saying "I'm so sorry". At the start of this episode, Joey is the one to break the silence.
- This episode features no scenes in Monica's apartment.
- As of this episode, five of the six friends are shown drunk at least twice:
- Monica is shown drunk more than once, such as in "The One With The Fake Monica" (S1E21) and "The One Where They All Turn Thirty" (S7E14);
- Rachel is drunk in "The One Where Ross Finds Out" (S2E7), "The One In Vegas, Part 2" (S5E24), "The One After Vegas" (S6E1) and "The One With The Soap Opera Party" (S9E20).
- Phoebe is drunk in "The One After Vegas" (S6E1), "The One Where They All Turn Thirty" and "The One With The Proposal" (S6E24);
- Ross is drunk in "The One In Vegas, Part 2" (S5E24), "The One After Vegas" (S6E1) and in this episode;
- Chandler is drunk in "The One Where Chandler Can't Remember Which Sister" (S3E11) and "The One With Rachel's Crush" (S4E13);
- Joey is never shown drunk in this series. However, he may have been drunk in "The One With The Two Parties" (S2E22).
- Frank Jr wants to give Phoebe one of his kids, which is a reversal of roles from "The One Hundredth", where when the triplets are born, she wants to keep one of them.
- Ross says "I'm fine" nine times over the course of the episode.
- The DVD version of the episode features some additional content. It shows Chandler telling Owen that he said he was a doctor, rather than adopted. It also shows Monica defending Chandler saying they should have told him since he was 12, but find out he's in fact 8 which Monica remarks how tall he is and asks what country they got him from. In the final scene Phoebe makes the same mistake of his age and Monica then predicts he's from Russia. During the double date Joey also reveals that he sold his boat as Ross says they should take a trip on Joey's 'amazing' boat. Joey says he sold it two years ago and Ross calls him an idiot but Joey says he can get it back. When Rachel leaves Ross comes back out with more food but without oven mitts again. And finally, Ross quotes that he's fine again to which Joey replies 'are we still doing this' and Ross replies 'no'.
- In addition, during the scene that Frank Jr brings the triplets in, the triplets hug Phoebe and she chases the kids around the table, while Frank Jr. Jr. tries to pull Frank Jr.'s arm out of it's socket.
- When Colleen directs Chandler to the bathroom, she says it is "down the hall, to the left" but she points to the right with her thumb.
- When Ross is bringing the hot plate from the kitchen, and shuts the doors, the wall and mirror can be seen moving.
- In the scene where Chandler,Monica and Phoebe are in Central Perk and talk about adoption you can see Phoebe fold the brochure twice before putting it down.
| Preceded by|
"The One After Joey And Rachel Kiss"
|Series Ten Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With Ross' Tan"
|<< Season 9||Season 10|
|#01||"The One After Joey And Rachel Kiss"||#07||"The One With The Home Study"||#13||"The One Where Joey Speaks French"|
|#02||"The One Where Ross Is Fine"||#08||"The One With The Late Thanksgiving"||#14||"The One With Princess Consuela"|
|#03||"The One With Ross' Tan"||#09||"The One With The Birth Mother"||#15||"The One Where Estelle Dies"|
|#04||"The One With The Cake"||#10||"The One Where Chandler Gets Caught||#16||"The One With Rachel's Going Away Party"|
|#05||"The One Where Rachel's Sister Babysits"||#11||"The One Where The Stripper Cries"||#17||"The Last One, Part 1"|
|#06||"The One With Ross's Grant"||#12||"The One With Phoebe's Wedding"||#18||"The Last One, Part 2"|