|The One With Phoebe's Uterus|
|Season 4, episode 11|
|84th overall episode of Friends|
|Phoebe decides to carry Frank and Alice's baby.|
January 8, 1998
Phoebe's brother, Frank, and Alice get married, and they give Phoebe the good news. Reveling with joy, Phoebe asks them if there's anything she can give them as a present, which they answer promptly - as the two are unable to conceive, they ask Phoebe if she could be their baby's surrogate mother. Confused what to do, Phoebe seeks her birth mother for advice, who gives her a pug puppy to keep for three days. She explains to her how she would feel when she has to give the puppy up, which would be nothing compared to giving up a baby. When Frank and Alice see the puppy, Phoebe gives it to them (albeit it being her mother's), and seeing the looks of glee on their faces, she decides to carry their baby.
Joey gets a job as a tour guide at Ross' museum. Things are going well until lunchtime, when Joey asks Ross to sit next to him in the cafeteria. Ross, however, blows him off to sit with his professor colleagues. Joey talks about this to Rhonda, a fellow tour guide, who remarks how people from different departments don't sit next to each other. Joey is hurt by this, and nothing Ross says to him can make him feel better about it, until Ross refuses to sit with his colleagues to sit with Joey the next day at lunch.
Things are going really well for Kathy and Chandler. Just one thing's missing - the two haven't had sex yet. Chandler is put off by the fact that Kathy's ex was Joey and since Kathy's sexual performance standards are pretty high because of this, he's afraid he won't be able to reach them. He talks to Monica and Rachel about this, and Monica decides to help him out by drawing a picture of a woman and telling Chandler all about the various erogenous zones on a woman's body and techniques which women find extraordinary. He takes her advice the next time he sees Kathy, who rushes in the apartment at the end of the episode to thank Monica for the great tips she's given Chandler.
Cast and Crew
Teri Garr - Phoebe Abbott
Giovanni Ribisi - Frank Buffay Jr.
Debra Jo Rupp - Alice Knight Buffay
Paget Brewster - Kathy
James Michael Tyler - Gunther
Sherri Shepherd - Rhonda
Miles Marsico - The Smart Kid
Jack Ong- The Older Scientist
Jim Bentley - Another Tour Guide
Chip Chinery - Another Scientist
Phoebe Abbot: It combines my two passions: pottery and erotica.
Monica: All right. You could, uh, start out with a little 1, a 2, a 1-2-3, a 3, a 5, a 4, a 3-2, 2, a 2-4-6, 2-4-6, 4, 2, 2, 4-7, 5-7, 6-7, 7... 7... 7... 7 7 7 7 7 7... seven.
- In this episode, Matthew Perry messes up a line by saying "blue blazer black" instead of "blue blazer back". The rest of the cast's responses were so funny that they left it in the episode.
- The whole "Phoebe is having her brother's babies" story line was created to keep Lisa Kudrow in the show while she actually was pregnant. It was also the reason she stayed in the US during Ross's wedding because she actually was in her 3rd trimester and was not allowed to fly.
- In The One With The Hypnosis Tape, Joey and Ross explain to Phoebe how they end up best man and ring-bearer respectively. However, as the two don't have a formal wedding ceremony because they choose to elope, Ross and Joey are not present at Frank and Alice's wedding, much less in their designated roles.
- Frank and Alice talk to Phoebe about how they're unable to conceive. Since both their genetic data is still used for the baby, it suggests that Alice is unable to conceive a child physically.
- The DVD episode has an extended clip of the part where Monica gets excited while explaining to Chandler about women. The three find Monica's demonstration exciting so they leave for different rooms. - Monica and Rachel to their respective bedrooms while Chandler makes for the bathroom.
- During Monica's demonstration of the erogenous zones, she tells Chandler to "keep women on their toes." Rachel then moans, "Oh, toes..." There is a brief awkward pause, before Rachel, suddenly flustered, adds, "You know... for some people." This could be a hint that she has a foot fetish. Probably true as in The One At The Beach (S3E24) she reveals she's painted Ross's toenails in the past.
- Monica's demonstration of the erogenous zones not only improves Chandler's sexual relationship with Kathy, but in The One Where Phoebe Hates PBS, Chandler refers to Monica making him the best sex she's ever had.
- This is the first time Phoebe is shown taking care of someone else's dog. She does this again with her friends' dog Clunkers in The One Where Chandler Doesn't Like Dogs in Season 7.
- Chandler compares the puppy to the late Karl Malden.
- In the last scene of this episode, Monica asks Rachel if she would agree to be a surrogate for her if she ever asks, Rachel says yes, but in season 9 when Monica and Chandler turn out to be unlikely to conceive, they reject the idea of surrogacy, Chandler explaining that Monica has longed to carry a child of her own.
- Rachel says that when she has a baby, it will be with someone she loves and the baby is a keeper. She has a daughter, Emma, with Ross (the love of her life) 4 years later.
- In this episode, businessman Donald Trump is mentioned in one of Chandler's jokes. About 18 years after this episode aired, Trump would become the 45th President of the United States.
- When Phoebe visits her mother, she says "I didn't know that you did pot." in this shot, Phoebe Abbott's arms are loose, but in the next shot, her arms are crossed.
- When Phoebe is on the couch in the coffee house talking to Monica and Rachel, the way Phoebe is holding the puppy changes between shots.
- When Monica is drawing the erogenous zones and Rachel says "Let me see that!", Rachel has one leg on the couch. When the camera angle changes, she has both legs on the table.
- Chandler states in a later episode that he is afraid of dogs, but he was calm when being in the same room as Phoebe's puppy in this episode. He was probably still thinking about his insecurity with his sexual prowess with Kathy.
- When Phoebe enters the apartment Rachel is standing in front of the tv. Chandler says "you're going to give them a PlayStation and a baby". Instant cut to Phoebe and Rachel is standing next to her with no time to move.
- When Joey is talking to Rhonda, you can see someone with a lab coat enters, however when the scene cuts to Ross no one else is standing in the cafeteria so Ross enters twice.
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Girl From Poughkeepsie"
|Series Four Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With The Embryos"