|The One With Phoebe's Wedding|
|Season 10, episode 12|
|230th overall episode of Friends|
|Phoebe and Mike get married.|
February 12, 2004
"The One With Phoebe's Wedding" is the twelfth episode of the tenth season of Friends, which aired on February 12, 2004.
Prior to the rehearsal dinner, Phoebe has a problem finding somebody to walk her down the aisle - her stepdad was going to get day release from prison to do it, but he ends up stabbing another inmate in the exercise yard and has to miss the ceremony. Phoebe asks Joey if he will take her stepdad's place, and he accepts. As a result, Joey acts if he is Phoebe's father and asks Mike for his intentions.
At the rehearsal dinner, Phoebe gets really upset with Monica for rushing her and making sure everything is spotlessly perfect even if no one likes it, and fires her. The next day, Phoebe is going through a lot of stress doing Monica's job, having ice sculptures turning up and not knowing the technical name for orchids.
Meanwhile, Chandler and Ross find out that they are not included in the wedding and complain to Phoebe, who tells them they were next in line. When one of Mike's groomsmen can't make it, Mike lets Phoebe decide who gets to be in the wedding, who can't decide between them and passes the job to Rachel as a 'Bridesmaid job'. After both plead with Rachel, Mike decides it would be fun to have his dog, Chappy, as the missing groomsman.
There is a giant blizzard, and the minister gets cut off in the snow, so they decide to do the service in the street outside Central Perk. Joey is the new minister, because he is still ordained from Monica and Chandler's wedding. "Why would I give up free rides on the bus?" he explains.
Phoebe gives Monica her job back, wanting her to be "crazy bitch lady" again. When Mike's parents arrive, Mike tells his mom that he knows she doesn't like the idea of getting married in the snow but she interrupts him and says she likes all the lights and the colors. Mike's dad tells him he put pills in her drink so she would accept the wedding. With the snow, Chappy can't walk on his own, so Ross and Chandler both volunteer to hold him. Ross gets it because Chandler is afraid of dogs, but Ross soon regrets it when the dog smells. Chandler then substitutes for Phoebe's stepdad and walks her down the aisle. Phoebe refuses to wear a coat even though it is freezing and snowing. The ceremony proceeds with Phoebe and Mike each saying their vows. Joey cuts the ceremony short because Ross says Chappy's heart rate was slowing way down. The last scene is Ross taking Chappy out to go to the bathroom, which takes forever.
Cast and Crew
Kevin S. Bright
- This is the last episode with Phoebe's name in the title
- This episode received an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Cinematography for a Multi-Camera Series (Nick McLean).
- Instrumentals of "Can't Help Falling In Love With You" by Elvis Presley and "Here, There, and Everywhere" by The Beatles play during Phoebe's wedding.
- This is the last episode with Phoebe's name in the title of the episode.
- As arranged by the girls in "The One With The Nap Partners" (S7E6), Monica was supposed to be Phoebe's maid of honor, however she is just referred to as a bridesmaid.
- This episode runs 32:05 on DVD (a typical sitcom runs about 22:00).
- Phoebe's entire family was absent at her wedding including her mother Phoebe Abbott, half-brother Frank Jr., Alice, and the triplets (possibly because of the blizzard). Her father Frank Buffay Sr. and sister Ursula are also absent, likely because Phoebe would not have invited them.
- This is the only wedding of any of the main characters which Gunther attends, while during all other times in previous episodes where any of the main characters got married, he was absent. He probably wouldn't be invited if the wedding didn't occur in front of the Central Perk.
- This is the last on-screen wedding in the series. As of this episode every main character has gotten married except for Joey.
- This marks the second (possibly third) marriage for Phoebe. She was previously married to Duncan the ice dancer in a sham green card marriage, and implied she once married someone in Vegas (stated in season six's "The One After Vegas"). This is Mike's second marriage.
- This episode hints that Ross still loves Rachel as he states to her "You and me together again", which is further confirmed in "The One Where Estelle Dies" (S10E15) and "The Last One" (S10E17/18). Also, Ross was still in love with Rachel after they break up in "The One With The Morning After" (S3E16) and "The One With The Jellyfish" (S4E1), respectively; Former episode: When Ross tried to get Rachel to forgive him for his affair.; Latter episode: When Ross started crying before shouting "Fine by me!". However, there were also hints of this in these episodes,
- "The One With Rachel's Crush" (S4E13): When Ross was upset about Rachel being with Joshua.
- "The One With The Invitation" (S4E21): When Ross thought about his past relationship with Rachel and when he was putting all of his friends' wedding invitations into the mailbox, but paused at Rachel's.
- "The One With Ross's Wedding, Part 2"/"The One After Ross Says Rachel (S4E24/S5E1): When Ross said Rachel's name at his wedding to Emily.
- "The One With All The Kissing" (S5E2): When Ross said that Rachel is his wife and then corrects himself with 'Emily!'.
- "The One Where Ross Hugs Rachel" (S6E2)/"The One With Ross's Denial" (S6E3): When Ross didn't get the annulment and was still married to Rachel, when he hugged her, the look on his face showed he still loved her and when Ross offered to let Rachel move in with him.
- "The One Where Ross Got High" (S6E9): When Ross told Rachel in the hallway that she looked nice today and was wearing a big smile on his face and when Rachel said that she doesn't think her and Ross getting back together is a good idea, the look on Ross's face was a 'What' look and the "Huh?" he said was like a shocking "What?".
- "The One Where Chandler Can't Cry" (S6E14): When Ross turned Jill down so he would get back together with Rachel one day.
- "The One Where Ross Meets Elizabeth's Dad" (S6E21): When Ross showed disgust at Paul and Rachel kissing.
- "The One With The Stripper" (S8E8): When Ross told Dr. Green that Rachel means a lot to him and that he cares about and loves Rachel and shows a happy, "romantic" smile.
- "The One Where No One Proposes"(S9E1)/"The One Where Emma Cries"(S9E2): When Ross was bothered by the fact that Rachel agreed to marry Joey, even though she didn't really want to.
- "The One With Rachel's Phone Number" (S9E9): When Ross doesn't give Rachel the message from Bill, the guy she met in the bar.
- "The One With Phoebe's Rats"(S9E12): When Ross saw Rachel kissing Gavin.
- "The One After Joey And Rachel Kiss" (S10E1)/"The One Where Ross Is Fine" (S10E2): When Ross found out about Joey and Rachel's relationship and was acting bizarre.
- "The One With Princess Consuela" (S10E14): When Ross forbids Rachel from going to dinner with Mark because she might give her a job as his 'sex-retary', and Ross shows his extreme distrust, extreme jealousy and extreme dislike for Mark. However, that episode is after this one.
However, Ross was actually secretly in love with Rachel throughout the entire show, since she is the love of his life and the love of your life means: 'The person you want to spend the rest of your life with' and 'The person you want to spend the rest of your life with, and will never stop loving no matter what comes your way. You can't imagine life without them'. Ross even says in The One With The Morning After that he can't imagine his life without Rachel, basically confirming she is the love of his life.
- Phoebe is superstitious. In "The One with All the Wedding Dresses" she believes that on the wedding day, the groom should not see the bride before the wedding. However, on her own wedding day, Phoebe and Mike hang out together before the ceremony.
- After Phoebe tells Monica that she is fired from being her wedding planner, Monica says that she has never been fired. However, in The One With Five Steaks And An Eggplant Monica gets fired for taking the kickbacks.
- In the beginning, when Joey says "let your dad get this" he pays the coffee bill with a $100 bill. Unless he is paying off a quite large tab, it seems unlikely the total would be so much.
| Preceded by|
"The One Where The Stripper Cries"
|Series Ten Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One Where Joey Speaks French"
|<< Season 9||Season 10|
|#01||"The One After Joey And Rachel Kiss"||#07||"The One With The Home Study"||#13||"The One Where Joey Speaks French"|
|#02||"The One Where Ross Is Fine"||#08||"The One With The Late Thanksgiving"||#14||"The One With Princess Consuela"|
|#03||"The One With Ross' Tan"||#09||"The One With The Birth Mother"||#15||"The One Where Estelle Dies"|
|#04||"The One With The Cake"||#10||"The One Where Chandler Gets Caught||#16||"The One With Rachel's Going Away Party"|
|#05||"The One Where Rachel's Sister Babysits"||#11||"The One Where The Stripper Cries"||#17||"The Last One, Part 1"|
|#06||"The One With Ross's Grant"||#12||"The One With Phoebe's Wedding"||#18||"The Last One, Part 2"|