|"The One With Phoebe's Wedding"|
Promotional Image from NBC.
|Written by|| Robert Carlock |
Dana Klein Borkow
|Directed by||Kevin S. Bright|
|Guest stars|| Gregory Itzin - Theodore Hannigan|
|Original airdate||February 12, 2004|
|← Previous||Next →|
| || |
"The One With Phoebe's Wedding" is the twelfth episode of the tenth season of Friends, which aired on February 12, 2004.
Monica is driving Phoebe insane when she is planning Phoebe's wedding, barking orders military style, complete with headset. At the rehearsal dinner, Phoebe gets really upset with Monica for rushing her and making sure everything is spotlessly perfect even if no one likes it, and fires her. The next day, Phoebe is going through a lot of stress doing Monica's job, having ice sculptures turning up and not knowing the technical name for orchids. Chandler and Ross find out that they are not included in the wedding and complain to Phoebe, who tells them they were next in line. When one of Mike's groomsmen can't make it, Mike lets Phoebe decide who gets to be in the wedding, a job she passes to Rachel as a Bridesmaid job. After both plead with Rachel, Mike decides it would be fun to have his dog, Chappy, as the missing groomsman. There is a giant blizzard, and the minister gets cut off in the snow, so they decide to do the service in the street outside Central Perk. Joey is the new minister, because he is still ordained from Monica and Chandler's wedding. "Why would I give up free rides on the bus?" he explains. Phoebe gives Monica her job back, wanting her to be "crazy bitch lady" again. When Mike's parents arrive, Mike tells his mom that he knows she doesn't like the idea of getting married in the snow but she interrupts him and says she likes all the lights and the colors. Mike's dad tells him he put pills in her drink so she should would accept the wedding. With the snow, Chappy can't walk on his own, so Ross and Chandler both volunteer to hold him. Ross gets it because Chandler hates dogs, but Ross soon regrets it when the dog smells. Chandler then substitutes for Phoebe's father and walks her down the aisle. Phoebe refuses to wear a coat even though it is freezing and snowing. The ceremony proceeds with Phoebe and Mike each saying their vows. Joey cuts the ceremony short because Ross says Chappy's heart rate was slowing way down. The last scene is Ross taking Chappy out to go to the bathroom, which takes forever.
Cast and CrewEdit
Kevin S. Bright
- An instrumental of "Here, There, and Everywhere" by The Beatles plays during Phoebe's wedding.
- This is the last episode with Phoebe's name in the title of the episode. However two episodes later in The One With Princess Consuela, Phoebe legally changes her name to Princess Consuela, which is in the title of that episode.
- As arranged by the girls in, "The One With The Nap Partners," Monica is Phoebe's maid of honor.
- Courteney Cox Arquette was pregnant during the filming of this episode. On June 13, 2004 Courteney and her husband David Arquette welcomed the birth of their daughter Coco Riley Arquette
- This episode received an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Cinematography for a Multi-Camera Series (Nick McLean)
- This episode runs 32:05 on DVD (a typical sitcom runs about 22:00).
- Phoebe's entire family was absent at her wedding including Frank Sr., Phoebe Sr., Ursula, Frank Jr., Alice, and the triplets. Probably because of the blizzard.
- This is the last on-screen wedding. As of this episode every main character has gotten married except for Joey ( however he was engaged). (Monica and Chandler, Ross and Rachel, Phoebe and Mike)
- When Chandler asked Rachel if she ever got left out, she said no. In The One With The Lottery Rachel says she never got picked. In The One With The Football she was upset about being picked last, and was excluded from most of the game. A season ago, Joey wanted to buy the Knicks and select Rachel as starting forward in The One With The Lottery, to which Rachel exclaimed: "I never get picked!" However, before negating Chandler's question, whether she knows how it feels to be left out, prior to her answer, Rachel nods in a confirming manner. Moments later, Rachel also corrects her head movement. So this is unlikely to be considered as a goof.
- Phoebe is superstitious. In "The One with All the Wedding Dresses" she believes that on the wedding day, the groom should not see the bride before the wedding. However, on her own wedding day, Phoebe and Mike hang out together before the ceremony. The only reason they hung out was because the wedding was originally cancelled until Rachel suggested doing it in the street.
- After Phoebe tells Monica that she is fired from being her wedding planner, Monica says that she has never been fired. However, in The One With Five Steaks And An Eggplant Monica gets fired for taking the kickbacks.
- Chandler said he didn't get picked for the balance beam. In gymnastics, men don't do the balance beam (they do vault, floor exercise, pommel horse, high bar, parallel bars, and still rings).
| Preceded by|
"The One Where The Stripper Cries"
|Series Ten Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One Where Joey Speaks French"