|"The One With Ross' Sandwich"|
Ross sent home from work
|Written by|| Ted Cohen|
|Directed by||Gary Halvorson|
|Guest stars|| Michael Ensign - Dr. Ledbetter|
|Original airdate||December 10, 1998|
|← Previous||Next →|
| || |
"The One With Ross' Sandwich" is the ninth episode of the fifth season of Friends, which aired on December 10, 1998.
Rachel finds Monica's razor in Chandler's bathroom and Phoebe finds Chandler's underwear on the couch in Monica's apartment, and as Chandler and Monica still want to keep their relationship a secret, Joey is forced to take the blame for both incidents, leading to the other friends thinking he is a pervert. Later that night, Chandler and Monica are about to have sex and record it on a video camera in Chandler's apartment. However, Joey returns home with a date, who misunderstands and thinks Joey was going to film them having sex, and storms out in disgust. All of which was seen by Rachel. Joey is again forced to take the blame. The next day, Joey finds a naked picture of Monica which Chandler left in the apartment, and the others think that Joey took it. He decides that enough is enough and wants to tell everyone about Monica and Chandler. However, he cannot go through with it and instead gets his revenge by making up a story about him sleeping with Monica in London, and that Monica set up the camera and left the photo for him as she has been stalking him ever since, trying to get him back into bed.
Phoebe is taking a literatue class and Rachel agrees to come, but instead of reading the books, she asks Phoebe what they are about right before the class begins. The second time, Phoebe decides to make up a story to tell Rachel, which she repeats in front of the entire class. When Rachel finds out that Phoebe actually wants to learn something instead of just having fun, they agree that Phoebe should take Monica, which turns out to be not such a good idea as she is way too fanatic and everybody hates her as she persuades the teacher to give them a test with essay questions.
Ross is starting to unravel in light of his impending divorce and recent eviction, and the straw that breaks the camel's back is when he takes his leftover Thanksgiving sandwich to work and someone eats it. As this was "the only good thing going on in my life", he gets really mad about it. Phoebe writes a threatening note for him that will people scare off. His coworkers start calling him 'mental' and Ross thinks that getting tough with people is a way to get what you want out of them. This however does not work with Joey, who just pushes him off the couch in Central Perk when he orders him to give him his coffee. This causes problems with his boss, who wants him to see a psychiatrist, but when he reveals that he was the one that ate his sandwich, Ross screams in his face and is put on indefinite leave.
Cast and CrewEdit
- Joey offers his chicken to the gang after Monica tells them she's a sex addict. However in "The One With The Birth Mother", he states his new catch phrase of "Joey doesn't share food". Joey says he is only eating the skin of the chicken. He's only sharing because he isn't eating the whole chicken.
- Phoebe reveals more about her time on the street, offering to tell them that she once stabbed a cop but instantly defends herself by saying that he stabbed her first
- Joey shows off his leg that he had shaved to Monica and Chandler, after Rachel found Monica's razor and he had to lie for them, saying he's playing the role of a woman for a play. Matt LeBlanc actually shaved his leg for this episode.
- When Joey lies that he slept with Monica, Ross simply approaches him and says it's not good for his rage before taking some pills. However, when he actually catches Chandler sleeping with Monica in The One Where Everybody Finds Out he chases after Chandler, in a worse state of mind. However, it is possible Ross was still under the influence of the Psychiatrist's tranquiliser, as Chandler puts the photo of Monica in the magazine the same day.
- Joey has no problems with lying in this episode, making believable excuses. However in later season he can't lie and incorporates racoons into all of his stories.
| Preceded by|
"The One With All The Thanksgivings"
|"The One With Ross' Sandwich"|| Followed by |
"The One With The Inappropriate Sister"