|"The One With The Baby On The Bus"|
Chandler and Joey chase after the bus for Ben.
|Written by||Betsy Borns|
|Directed by||Gail Mancuso|
|Guest stars|| Chrissie Hynde as Stephanie Schiffer|
Max Wright as Terry
Victor Raider-Wexler as Doctor Karl
Catherine Bell as Robin
Hugh Dane as Jim
Jennifer Sommerfield as Becky
Lea Thompson as Caroline Duffy
Giovanni Ribisi as Condom Boy (uncredited)
James Michael Tyler as Gunther (uncredited)
|Original airdate||November 2, 1995|
|← Previous||Next →|
| || |
"The One With The Baby On The Bus" is the sixth episode of the second season of Friends, which aired on November 2, 1995.
Ben can't stop crying in Monica's hands, and Joey and Chandler make fun of her. She gets back at them by throwing their basketball out of the window. Ross has an allergic reaction to Monica's kiwi-lime pie, and Chandler and Joey volunteer to baby-sit Ben while he and Monica head to the hospital. Ross half-heartedly allows them to baby-sit. At the hospital, Ross is worried about having to take a shot for the allergic reaction, and he squeezes Monica's hand to a pulp when he has the shot.
On the streets, Chandler and Joey are tending to the baby, when a beautiful woman notices them with him. She also, however, mistakes them for a gay couple. Things go quite differently with two other girls, who the boys ride the bus with. Just they all agree to go have drinks, the guys notice that they don't have Ben. With a look of horror at each other, they realize that they left him on the bus. They try to catch the bus again, but are left flabbergasted when the bus is joined by two other identical buses on its way away.
Terry, the manager at Central Perk, tells Rachel to tell Phoebe that a paid professional singer, Stephanie, is replacing her. Phoebe takes it hard, and Rachel asks Terry to let her perform after Stephanie, which he reluctantly consents to. Phoebe, however, refuses to play at Central Perk when she learns she has to do it for free, and instead sings hate songs outside the coffeehouse for charity. Rachel is sad for Phoebe, and comforts her on the street. A stranger arrives and asks for the condom he dropped in the case.
After phoning Joey and Chandler, they finally find the baby at the Department of Human Services, but are left stricken when they have to pick the one from two identical babies. Luckily for them, they pick the right one. This they recognize when he starts crying again in Monica's hands. Ross thinks it's time to change his diaper, but sees "Property of Human Services" on Ben's butt. Chandler holds Ross off with a slice of kiwi-lime pie whilst he yells: "Run, Joey, run!" At the coffeehouse, Phoebe teaches "Smelly Cat" to Stephanie.
Cast and CrewEdit
Chrissie Hynde - Stephanie Schiffer
Max Wright - Terry
Victor Raider-Wexler - Doctor Karl
Catherine Bell - Robin
Hugh Dane - Jim
Jennifer Sommerfield - Becky
Lea Thompson - Caroline Duffy
Giovanni Ribisi - Condom Boy (uncredited)
James Michael Tyler - Gunther (uncredited)
- Rachel and Phoebe do not share any scenes with the rest of the gang in this episode; they are only seen together in Central Perk.
- This is the episode where Ross is revealed to have a Ph.D.. Monica reveals it to the doctor administering the shot to Ross.
- In the spin-off show Joey, in "Joey and the Book Club", Joey is seen singing "Angel of the Morning," the exact song Chrissie Hynde was singing at Central Perk.
- In the DVD episode, Chrissie Hynde's plays "Angel of the Morning" longer.
- Lea Thompson crosses over in her role from Caroline in the City. Later on the night this episode was aired, David Schwimmer appeared as Ross on The Single Guy and Matthew Perry appeared as Chandler on Caroline in the City.
- On Stephanie's way in, Phoebe asks her what guitar chords she knows, to which Stephanie scoffs with: "All of them". Phoebe asks her if she knows the D and the A minor chords, to which Stephanie replies: "Yeah". However, basing on the song "Smelly Cat", Phoebe knows at least three chords: the D, the A and the E chords.
- Giovanni Ribisi appears in this episode as 'Condom Boy'. He returns later in the series as Frank Buffay Jr., Phoebe's half-brother.
- Ross mentions to Monica in this episode that he hopes Ben will have a sister. Ben does end up having a half-sister, Emma, born to Ross and Rachel in the Season 8 finale.
| Preceded by|
"The One With Five Steaks And An Eggplant"
|"The One With The Baby On The Bus"|| Followed by |
"The One Where Ross Finds Out"