|The One With The Ball|
|Season 5, episode 21|
|118th overall episode of Friends|
|Phoebe drops the ball.|
May 6, 1999
"The One With The Ball" is the twenty-first episode of the fifth season of Friends, which aired on May 6, 1999.
Gary wants to ask Phoebe to move in with him, which he tells Monica, who can't keep it for herself and tells Phoebe about it. This freaks her out, because she thinks it's too soon, and she asks Chandler make him afraid of commitment so that Gary won't ask her. However, Chandler finds out that Gary is a nice guy who really loves Phoebe a lot, so he tells Phoebe she should move in with him. Phoebe agrees to move in with Gary, at first because it made him so sad when she initially disagreed, but later because she likes the idea of spending more time with the guy she loves. However, living together doesn't last long, because Gary shoots a bird, for which Phoebe breaks up with him.
Joey and Ross throw a ball back and forth without dropping it for two hours, Joey even missed lunch for the first time, claiming his pants feel loose. They continue throwing the ball for another two hours when Monica joins them, making the game a lot more competitive, leading to problems with the guys who like it being just a casual game: "Monica, we're on the same team!". When Chandler also wants to join the game, it causes problems because he has a reputation as "dropper", as showed in the tag scene. The game finally ends on the next day, when they throw the ball to Phoebe, who, unaware of the whole game, just puts it on the table.
Rachel buys a very expensive naked cat, which the guys all make fun of, for $1,000 dollars. It turns out that the cat isn't as sweet as the cat she imagined: she has scratches over her whole body. She decides to sell the cat, but no one wants to buy it on the street. She finally manages to sell it to poor Gunther for $1,500, making a profit of $500. Gunther bought the cat in the hopes that Rachel would come to visit the cat (and, in turn, him), but didn't even know what the cat was, asking Ross if it was a snake.
Cast and Crew
- Despite Chandler's claims that he and Monica moving in together is too fast, he is the one to suggest they do so in "The One After Vegas" (S6E1).
- In the uncut DVD version of the episode, Rachel is also shown throwing the ball. Ross also wakes up and says he dreamt that he was "drowning and not throwing this ball".
- This is the final appearance of Michael Rapaport as Gary.
- When Chandler visits Gary at his precinct, the blackboard behind Gary's desk has names written on it in blue chalk. All of the names are references to or characters from Stanley Kubrick films.
- When Ross and Joey are playing catch, Ross is boring Joey with paleontology stories. He says "...now when they found the remains of the Mesozoic Mastodon they discovered what appeared to be the remains of a Paleozoic Amphibian in its jaws! How did it get there?" However, there were no Mastodons in the Mesozoic Era. The Mesozic lasted from 251 million years ago to 65 million years ago. The earliest Mastodons appeared only about 4 million years ago. Ross should have said "Cenozoic Mastodon."
- When Rachel enters the guys' apartment holding the cat on the cushion with the red oven mitt, her hand is on the cat. In between shots, her hand changes to being on the pillow with no time to do so.
- When the gang moves their game of catch to Monica's so they can eat pizza, Joey is holding the ball. When the camera angle changes, Chandler is holding the ball and he throws it to Joey.
- When Phoebe is in the interrogation room with Gary, the blinds on the door change from closed to open between shots.
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Ride Along"
|"The One With The Ball"|| Followed by |
"The One With Joey's Big Break"