|The One With The Bullies|
|Season 2, episode 21|
|45th overall episode of Friends|
|Ross and Chandler fighting with the bullies.|
April 25, 1996
"The One With The Bullies" is the twenty-first episode of the second season of Friends, which aired on April 25, 1996. In this episode, Chandler and Ross are intimidated by two bullies who take over the friends' Central Perk sofa. Phoebe meets her long-lost family.
Revealing themselves to be nasty, unpleasant and potentially violent individuals they start bullying and intimidating Ross and Chandler whenever they see them. The bullies tell Ross and Chandler they are never to return to the coffee house unless they want to get beat up. Chandler and Ross eventually decide to face their fear and go anyway.
The now more casually dressed bullies suggest they "take this outside", and while discussing the "rules" for the fight, they notice that other guys are stealing the valuables they had set aside for the fight. All four guys chase them down and the problem is resolved.
Monica is still without a proper job and now down to the last of her savings. Desperate to avoid working in a cheesy 50s diner (in which she'd be required to dress up and dance on the counter), she decides to invest her in the stock market even though she knows nothing about it, picking the stocks to invest in based on the letter combinations that stand for the companies. She eventually loses all her money and is forced to take the diner job much to her embarrassment.
Phoebe decides to visit her biological father. When she gets there, a little Jack Russell terrier, tries to attack her. She, Rachel and Joey are stuck in the car until it is night. She decides to come back later but as she pulls out she runs over the dog. She takes it to the vet and later brings it back to the house, meeting the woman who lives there. When she asks if Frank Buffay lives there she finds out that her father has abandoned this family as well. Although upset, she is consoled by Frank Jr. and she tells him they are half-siblings and bonds with him a bit. Though she did not meet her father, Phoebe has met a brother Frank Jr. and is happy with this.
Cast and Crew
- Ross claims at one point that nobody besides Monica has ever beaten him up before. However, in The One With The Mugging, Phoebe admits to Monica that she mugged a teenage Ross, although just because she mugged him, it does not mean she beat him up. Ross finds out in that episode that Phoebe mugged him and does not know at this point that it was her who mugged him.
- This may be the first appearance of Giovanni Ribisi as Frank Buffay Jr. Ribisi had appear previously in The One With The Baby On The Bus as 'Condom Boy'. It is possible that both character are the same person, although it is unlikely given that later, in The one With Frank Jr, it is stated that Frank Jr had never been in New York before that episode. Its possible that Frank Jr forgot he'd been to New York before.
- The position of Monica on her knees holding Rachel begging her for money is identical to that of Ross and Rachel in The One With The Morning After. (S3E17)
- When Phoebe goes to visit her father, there is a little dog outside. Phoebe gets back in the car and the dog jumps up the side of it. When he finally gets part way through the window, the top of the dog-handler's head is visible through the car window.
- When Phoebe returns the dog, a woman across the road walks to her door twice.
- YMCA was played in the '50s diner despite the fact that it was released in 1978. This is undoubtedly because at the time this episode was filmed there was a 50's diner in Los Angeles called Ed Debevic's where the staff really would start dancing and performing when the song YMCA was played.
- One of the extras in the shot where Ross, Chandler, and the bullies chase after the thieves that stole the hat bumps into a fire hydrant that moves.
- When Monica is dancing on the bar, she's between a guy, dressed as Elvis, wearing a red jumpsuit and a blonde woman in a leather jacket and white T-shirt; but on the last part of the credits she's between a redhead woman, dressed as Lucille Ball, wearing a navy dress and a guy, dressed as Buddy Holly, with a brown blazer and glasses.
| Preceded by|
"The One Where Old Yeller Dies"
|"The One With The Bullies"|| Followed by |
"The One With The Two Parties"