|The One With The Cooking Class|
|Season 8, episode 21|
|191st overall episode of Friends|
|Joey and Monica attend a cooking class.|
May 2, 2002
"The One With The Cooking Class" is the twenty-first episode of the eighth season of Friends, which aired on May 2, 2002.
Monica is upset when a food critic gives her restaurant a horrible review. She finds out that he teaches a cooking class and goes to his class to confront him. She has him try her bouillabaisse again, but he still hates it. Another class comes in and it is Introduction to Cooking. The teacher asks a cooking question beforehand and Monica is able to answer it, allowing her to move to the head of the class. Soon her and Joey are involved in the whole class, and Monica is loving the praise from her teacher. When Joey's cookies beat Monica's, however, she is offended and reveals that she is a professional chef. The teacher says that she has been to Monica's restaurant and loves the food, giving Monica the boost of self-esteem she needed. On the way out, they stop at an introduction to acting class, thinking Joey will feel good about himself too. Joey doesn't know the answer to the teacher's question.
Rachel is freaking out because her due date is one week and her and Ross haven't gotten any baby supplies yet. They go to a store and get A LOT of stuff, but Rachel is upset when the salesgirl flirts with Ross. Phoebe accuses her of being jealous. When the salesgirl stops by the apartment to ask out Ross, Rachel makes it apparent that she is not ok with it. When Ross returns from his date, she tells him that she doesn't want him to date because she wants him to be constantly available to her. Despite her being unreasonable, Ross agrees to put dating on hold to be there for her and the baby.
Meanwhile, Chandler is interviewing for a new job. Phoebe helps him practice his interview skills, encouraging him to fight his urge to constantly make jokes and come on too strong. She purposely practices by putting in the term "do-do," which Chandler has to sidestep without making an inappropriate joke. In the actual interview, the businessman talks about Chandler's "duties," but Chandler is able to resist making jokes. Afterwards, the man tells him to relax, and he mentions that he was really nervous and it was hard to resist the joke about "duties," which blows the interview.
Cast and Crew
- In the United Kingdom version, Rachel does not say "Horny Bitch".
- There's an extra scene of Ross, Rachel and Katie shopping for baby stuff on the DVD version.
- In this episode Monica gets a bad review of her cooking at Alessandro's, interestingly enough she first got her job at Alessandro's after she wrote a bad review of the previous chef at the restaurant.
- After Rachel asked Ross about how he feels about keeping Ben in his life, Ross replies he wants to. Interestingly enough, we never see Ben for the rest of the series.
- Monica pretends to be a total beginner at cooking ("I had to ask people what it's called when the water makes those little bubbles!") - but minutes earlier she confidently answered the teacher's question about the difference between hollandaise and bearnaise sauce.--This was on purpose. Monica answered the sauce question because she genuinely knew the answer. She later puts on the pretense of being a beginner to "fit in" with a class filled with other beginners. To a teacher, book knowledge (i.e. knowing the difference between hollandaise and bearnaise) is different from practical knowledge (i.e. actually knowing what simmering or boiling water looks like).
- When Monica is cooking, the kitchen towel appears from nowhere and then disappears again.
- When Rachel is telling Ross that she does not want him to date Katie, there is no book on the cushion next to her. However, when the camera comes back to Rachel, a book appears and then disappears again a bit later.
- In the scene where Ross returns from his date with Katie, the boom mic can be seen at the top of the screen.
- The kitchenaid mixer is Monica's apartment is pink in this episode as opposed to the normal yellow.
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Baby Shower"
|Season Eight Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One Where Rachel Is Late"
|<< Season 7||Season 8||Season 9 >>|
|#01||"The One After 'I Do'"||#09||"The One With The Rumor"||#17||"The One With The Tea Leaves"|
|#02||"The One With The Red Sweater"||#10||"The One With Monica's Boots"||#18||"The One In Massapequa"|
|#03||"The One Where Rachel Tells..."||#11||"The One With Ross's Step Forward"||#19||"The One With Joey's Interview"|
|#04||"The One With The Videotape"||#12||"The One Where Joey Dates Rachel||#20||"The One With The Baby Shower"|
|#05||"The One With Rachel's Date"||#13||"The One Where Chandler Takes A Bath"||#21||"The One With The Cooking Class"|
|#06||"The One With The Halloween Party"||#14||"The One With The Secret Closet"||#22||"The One Where Rachel Is Late"|
|#07||"The One With The Stain"||#15||"The One With The Birthing Video"||#23||"The One Where Rachel Has A Baby, Part 1"|
|#08||"The One With The Stripper"||#16||"The One Where Joey Tells Rachel"||#24||"The One Where Rachel Has A Baby, Part 2"|