|The One With The Dollhouse|
|Season 3, episode 20|
|68th overall episode of Friends|
|Rachel talking about Joanna to Chandler.|
April 10, 1997
"The One With The Dollhouse" is the twentieth episode of the third season of Friends, which aired on April 10, 1997.
Joey meets Kate, the first woman who didn't like him back. They still have scenes to rehearse, which involve deep, passionate kissing, but something's missing according to the director. After being refused by Kate, who it turns out is involved with the director, Joey hooks up with Kate's understudy, Lauren. Some days later, the director is still unhappy with the scenes and storms out in the middle of rehearsals. Lauren wants to take Joey out, but Joey stays to work on his stuff with Katie. The two agree that there's missing chemistry on stage between the two, and they start to list things they could do to each other to find that chemistry. The list culminates in the two of them sleeping together. However, while he breaks up with Lauren to get with Katie, his fellow actress doesn't make a big deal out of it and stays with the director. The regret Joey feels is such that he starts calling ex-girlfriends just to apologize to them.
Monica's and Ross' Aunt Sylvia dies. Monica starts screaming with joy, stating that she was a "cranky old bitch", and is overjoyed to inherit her dollhouse with which she was never allowed to play. Phoebe, who never had a dollhouse to play with, is invited to play with Monica and the dollhouse, but Monica stops her when she brings over inappropriate toys like ghost handkerchiefs, gigantic, life-size dogs and dinosaur dolls. Phoebe is irritated and leaves to make her own dollhouse, which everyone admires more than Monica's perfect dollhouse mansion. Unfortunately, Phoebe doesn't get to enjoy her new dollhouse much as it catches fire; Ross is the one who's there when it happens, and he extinguishes it in Monica's shower, surprising Monica, who happens to be in the shower too.
Rachel fixes up her boss Joanna with Chandler. The date goes well - for Joanna, who thinks that Chandler is amazing. Chandler, on the other hand, can only describe Joanna as a "big, dull dud", and that he's not going to call her for a second date. But as he promised Joanna to do so, Rachel's boss freaks out when he doesn't call her and keeps nagging Rachel to the point where Chandler has to go out with Joanna. Unfortunately for him, the last words to come out of his mouth are still "I'll give you a call, we should do it again sometime!" Even when he tells her that he's not, in fact, going out with her anymore, those are the last words out of his mouth.
Cast and Crew
- The giant dog that Phoebe brings to play with in Monica's dollhouse had decorated the shelf by the kitchen counter in Joey and Chandler's apartment during Seasons 1 and 2.
- Continuity: Chandler asks Joey if Kate is the only woman he's ever wanted who didn't want him back, and he says yes. However, in "The One With The Flashback" it was shown that Monica rejected Joey when he made a pass at her naked. Counterargument: Monica did want him at one point however. It wasn't until he stripped down did she get turned off.
- First appearance of Allison LaPlaca as Joanna.
- When Chandler says "Checking out the Chan Chan Man!" the position of Rachel's hands changes between shots.
- When Chandler's in Rachel's office, she tells him the lingerie isn't kept there. He says, "Yes I realize that", and starts reaching for the catalogue she's about to give him. Camera cuts, and he's now standing with his hands in his pockets, reaching out again when she gives him the catalogue.
- During the Central Perk scene where Rachel tells Chandler he has to call Joanna, there's an awkward edit overlap of the footage between the camera angles: Chandler delivers his line ending with "she gets that mascara goop thing in the corner of her eye !" and the edit cuts to Rachel's next line while we can see Matthew Perry from the back, delivering the last 5 or 6 words of his line silently.
- When Monica and Phoebe are looking at the dollhouse, Monica says "I don't want a ghost for the house." When she says this, the camera is behind Phoebe whose right hand is up in the air. The shot then changes to Phoebe from the front, and her hand has instantly gone to her lap.
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Tiny T-Shirt"
|Series Three Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With A Chick And A Duck"