|The One With The Dozen Lasagnas|
Phoebe massaging Paolo.
|Written by|| Jeff Astrof|
|Directed by||Paul Lazarus|
|Guest stars|| Cosimo Fusco - Paolo|
|Original airdate||January 12, 1995|
|← Previous||Next →|
| || |
"The One With The Dozen Lasagnas" is the twelfth episode of the first season of Friends, which aired on January 12, 1995. this episode is shown after the Pilot
After cooking a dozen lasagnas for Aunt Sylvia, Monica is stuck with them as they were supposed to be vegetarian. Ross is acquainting himself with pregnancy-related stuff, and is psyched to learn from Carol (to whom he brings one of Monica's lasagnas) that the baby is completely healthy, but he doesn't want to learn the baby's sex. Carol and Susan, however, know it. The list of people who know the baby's sex is extended to everyone except Ross. Meanwhile, Joey and Chandler's table breaks, and they have to eat lasagna on their laps whilst deciding how to buy a new one. The two can't seem to decide upon a make, until they agree on a foosball table.
Rachel is planning to go for a weekend away with Paolo, but Phoebe has a bad day at work - mostly because Paolo makes a pass on her. She tells Rachel this, and Rachel breaks up with Paolo. Meanwhile, the guys talk with Ross and make him see how now is the time to talk to Rachel about his feelings for her and start "the age of Ross".
Paolo, with the empty suitcase (after Rachel dropped all of Paolo's clothes in the street), is about to leave. Monica, while mad at him, is still stuck with several lasagnas, so she gives him one on the way out. Needless to say, Ross is gleeful of the turnout of events and sends off Paolo with style by closing the door in his face. He goes to talk to Rachel, who is on the balcony, still pretty shaken about everything. Rachel, however, is sick of guys, and is not even thinking about being with another guy. Ross tries to talk her out of this by saying that not everyone's like Paolo, to which Rachel replies how she doesn't think his boy's growing up to be one. This, of course, is the slip-out that Ross is, in fact, having a boy.
Despite Monica managing to beat them solo, which lead to the guys to kick her out their apartment, Chandler and Joey are deeply enjoying the foosball table until the early hours of morning.
Cast and CrewEdit
- The song they sing at the beginning of the episode is the main theme of the TV series The Odd Couple.
- Monica's Aunt Syl is very probably Aunt Sylvia, who is referenced in several episodes:
- In The One Where Old Yeller Dies, Chandler tries to grow a mustache like Richard. The sight of Chandler with a hairy upper lip reminds Monica and Ross of Aunt Sylvia, who is presumed to have a mustache too;
- In The One With The Dollhouse, Monica learns that Aunt Sylvia died, and she reacts by punching the air with joy, as it turns out that just like in this episode, Aunt Sylvia was a cruel bitch. She also inherits her dollhouse, which is everyone's envy until Phoebe shows everyone her original homemade, more creative dollhouse.
- As Carol reveals on receipt of the lasagna, Susan is a vegetarian. However, Ross doesn't bother telling Carol that the lasagna contains meat, probably because he hates Susan.
- That's not a trivia fact as much as it is a simple explanation of an obvious joke in the episode
- Apparently, Phoebe is great at baking cookies. In this episode, Rachel is simply crazy about Phoebe's oatmeal-raisin cookies, whilst in The One With Phoebe's Cookies, Monica insists on obtaining Phoebe's grandmother's secret chocolate-chip cookie recipe, until she learns that the recipe is the word-by-word copy of the Nestle Tollhouse variation.
- This episode also brings out another, weird feature of Phoebe's - her habit of carrying unusual things in her bags. This happens when she pulls out a thermos flask with milk from her bag to hand to Rachel.
- In The One With Rachel's Sister, Phoebe pulls out a whole assortment of things from her bag to give Ross some gum - a purse, a brush, a sneaker with an egg in it, and a goldfish in a plastic bag filled with water.
- In The One Where Rachel Goes Back To Work, Phoebe pulls out the thermos flask again from her bag, this time to steal Joey's coffee.
- In The One Where Chandler Gets Caught, Rachel and Phoebe are about to follow Chandler, when Rachel jokes to Phoebe how she just needs to grab her night-vision goggles and her stun gun. In all seriousness, Phoebe pats her bag and replies: "I got them!".
- Despite saying that she "couldn't not [want to] know" about the sex of the baby, in The One Where Chandler Takes A Bath, Rachel and Ross initially agree not to learn the sex of their unborn child.
- in this episode, Rachel accidentally reveals the sex of Ross' child. Later when Rachel is pregnant, Ross accidentally reveals the sex of the baby to Rachel.
- Despite the fact that the lasagnas contained meat (which is why Monica is stuck with them in the first place), Phoebe is seen eating from one near the end of the episode, but she is vegetarian. However, it might be that she scraped the meat off her part, but this is not mentioned or implied at any time.
- Even though in the previous episode, The One With Mrs. Bing, the apartment numbers where 19 and 20, they're back to 4 and 5 in this episode.
- In one outside shot of Monica's apartment, clothes are shown falling onto the street from a window. However, in the next shot, Rachel is dumping Paolo's clothes from a balcony.
- During the song at the beginning of the episode, keep your eye on Ross's mug. He is holding it in his lap, then there is a shot of Monica with Ross's empty saucer on the table. In the next shot, the mug has appeared on the saucer.
- When Ross says he could escape from any uterus, Joey is holding two small books. In the next shot they have vanished and he is holding a large book.
- When Ross is on about calling immigration, his hands move with no time to do so.
- When Ross visits Carol, he hugs her, and puts his hands on her hips. In the next shot, he isn't touching her and has taken a step back instantly.
- When Chandler and Joey are on about buying a table, a line of stage lights is visible in the TV.
- When Rachel is talking with Phoebe about Paolo,. she unrolls some kitchen paper and uses it as a tissue. Initially she's holding two torn halves attached to the roll, then when saying "He's a pig" it goes to a whole sheet not attached to any others, then when she sits down it's a whole sheet attached to the roll again. Plus when Phoebe sits too, in some shots the paper is on the table, in others it's not.
- During the scene where Phoebe is telling Rachel that Paolo made a pass at her, Rachel unrolls a long length of kitchen roll. During the scene there is a shot over her shoulder where we see that the kitchen roll is as normal and in the next shot we see it unrolled again.
- When Ross is on the balcony trying to comfort Rachel after she has split up with Paolo, we see a couple of shots from the balcony looking into Monica's apartment. If you look at the top of the screen you can see where the walls of the set end, and all the stage lights hanging from the ceiling of the studio.
- In the one where Ross finds out he's having a boy (series 1), just before Rachel lets it slip, she is sitting on the edge of a chair eating a cookie. Watch her dress, it changes back and forth from being undone from the waist up, to only having two buttons open at the top.
- At the end of the episode, when Monica scores a goal against Joey and Chandler, she is playing with the red team and scores with her strikers. In the next shot, a blue midfielder scores the goal.
| Preceded by|
"The One With Mrs. Bing"
|"The One With The Dozen Lasagnas"|| Followed by |
"The One With The Boobies"