"The One With The Fake Party" is the sixteenth episode of the fourth season of Friends, which aired on March 19, 1998.
|The One With The Fake Party|
Rachel with the surprise party banner
|Written by|| Alicia Sky Varinaitis|
|Directed by||Michael Lembeck|
|Guest stars|| Tate Donovan - Joshua Burgin|
|Original airdate||March 19, 1998|
|← Previous||Next →|
| || |
Rachel is still intent on hinting her attraction to work client Joshua; however, when he lets it slip out that he's not ready to date girls, she is thrown off course. Emily's stay in the United States is about to end, and with two days to go, Ross has a romantic evening planned out with her. But Ross' plans are quickly shattered by Rachel, who throws a "bon-voyage-Emily" party for Emily, who is surprised by the party, but Ross tries to carry out the romantic night, but Emily keeps talking to the guys and no time is left for anything he planned.
Rachel tries different approaches to seduce Joshua, but her attempts are nowhere near successful - she almost chokes on a cherry stem, plays spin-the-bottle to try and kiss him (Phoebe interrupts when she senses the baby kicking), changes from a sexy dress to her old cheerleader outfit and carries a cheer-leading number, at the end of which she trips and bites her lip.
Phoebe, who has been fighting the cravings for meat, tries to eat meat substitutes to try and satisfy the baby, but ends up nauseous when she eats soy burgers. She finally snaps at the party and devours Chandler's sandwich. Joey, who is in disbelief at first, introduces her to the more tasteful aspects of meat when he cooks steaks for him and Phoebe. When Phoebe feels bad about at what cost she ate the meat, Joey offers to stop eating meat until the baby is born, which turns out to be a big problem for him.
When Joshua is about to leave, she tries to take her bra out of her sleeve, but ends up with the stuck bra in her sleeve. She finally ends up confessing everything about her feelings to Joshua, who explains how despite not wearing suits to work, he has bought six of them from her, and that he kept coming to the store to see her. Still, he sticks with his decision not to date for a while since he just got out of a marriage, and Rachel has to make her peace with it. As Joshua leaves, she bumps into Ross, who is distraught about the badly-spent last night with Emily. Rachel talks Ross into realizing that he truly likes Emily, and their romance could last more than two weeks, as a girl like Emily wouldn't look through photo albums or ask to hear stories about him if her relationship was just for the two weeks. Just as Rachel starts to contemplate how it feels to be a loser (alongside expert Chandler), Joshua makes his way back to tell her that he might make an exception to the no-date decision. Rachel invites him over for coffee, also so that Chandler is not audience to them.
Cast and CrewEdit
Alicia Sky Varinaitis, Scott Silveri & Shana Goldberg-Meehan
- After Rachel chokes while trying to seduce Joshua with a cherry, Joshua goes to pat her with his right hand, in which you can clearly see he is holding a bottle. However when the angle changes, he is holding a cup in his right hand and now picks up the bottle from the table with his left hand.
- When Rachel is sitting in the hall convincing Ross to go back inside, she has her left leg crossed behind her right leg. When the camera angle changes, her upper body is still twisted, indicating that she hasn't move, but her legs aren't crossed anymore.
- Phoebe tells Joey that her "cool, pregnant lady glow" is from throwing up all morning. However, two episodes earlier in "The One with Joey's Dirty Day", Phoebe clearly states that she gets her morning sickness in the evening. However, that doesn't mean she doesn't throw up in the morning.
- In the scene where Emily arrives at the party, before she arrives the Magna Doodle on the door reads "Joey enjoys the", but when Emily enters, the message has changed to "Joey eats the".
- During the bon voyage party, the song, "Brimful of Asha" by the band, Cornershop can be heard in the background.
- This is one of only a few episodes where Joey's apartment (then lived in by Monica and Rachel) is not seen in the episode. However, Rachel does take Joshua in there for a cup of coffee while the episode is drawing to a close, though the inside is not actually seen.
- In the episode, Gunther pretends to Emily that Rachel is his girlfriend, evident to his crush on her which he reveals in the Last One.
- When Joey says "you'd just be eating my animals." the position of Phoebe's arms changes between this and the next shot.
| Preceded by|
"The One With All The Rugby"
|Series Four Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With The Free Porn"