|The One With The Fertility Test|
|Written by|| Scott Silveri|
|Directed by||Gary Halvorson|
|Guest stars|| Debra Azar - The Spa Receptionist|
|Original airdate||May 1, 2003|
|← Previous||Next →|
| || |
"The One With The Fertility Test" is the twenty-first episode of season nine of Friends. It aired on May 1, 2003.
Rachel receives a gift certificate to get a free massage at a chain massage center, which Phoebe doesn't want her to take advantage of as she feels it takes away business from independent massage therapists like herself. What Phoebe doesn't tell Rachel is that she's one of the employees at the very same massage center. However, she has a hard time concealing her identity to Rachel, her client, during her massage. Unfortunately for Phoebe, Rachel recognizes her as her massager due to seeing Phoebe's new shoes which she showed her earlier.
Joey's having a great time with Charlie, who is new to the city. She asks him to show her around, but the places she wants to visit make Joey's tour impossible for him, as she wants to visit museums about which he knows pretty much nothing. He asks Ross to help him with the tour, and he actually memorizes a script of the most important works of art. The tour works great, except that Joey takes the left path instead of the right and talks to Charlie about paintings which are not present. Ross explains to Charlie that Joey did this because he's crazy about her and he thinks it's important to her.
Monica and Chandler, who have been trying to have a baby for a year with no success, decide to go to a fertility study. The couple meet Janice, who Chandler talks to after "depositing his specimen". Although Chandler is quite sure that everything is all right with him and Monica, he's still nervous about the results. Later, he receives a call from Dr Connelly, who explains the truth - due to the low motility of Chandler's sperm and Monica's inhospitable environment (uterus), the two are very unlikely to conceive kids naturally. Saddened by this, Monica and Chandler resolve to find another way to have kids.
Cast and CrewEdit
- The uncut DVD version of the episode features a tag scene where Rachel returns to the massage parlour where Phoebe works. This time, Phoebe adopts a Scottish accent.
- Monica tells Chandler that they have been trying to have a baby for over a year. They started trying the day that Emma was born, but they don't celebrate Emma's first birthday until The One With The Cake in Season 10.
- When Charlie is explaining to Joey what she had done all day, the wine glass switches from her hand to being on the table next to her between shots.
- When Monica asks Rachel "Why do you care so much" Rachel's hands' positions change.
- When Ross begins suggesting places where Joey could take Charlie, his right arm is on the couch's arm. In the next take, his both arms are together.
- The episode opens with the gang talking about Joey kissing Charlie at the party "last night". However, the end of the previous episode showed Chandler tricking Monica and Phoebe into attending the one woman theatre show. Monica and Phoebe are wearing different clothes, so they must have attended this after the first scene of this episode, but it is never mentioned again.
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Soap Opera Party"
|Series Nine Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With The Donor"