|The One With The Lottery|
|Season 9, episode 18|
|212th overall episode of Friends|
|Phoebe threatens to drop the tickets.|
April 3, 2003
"The One With The Lottery" is the eighteenth episode of season nine of Friends. It aired on April 3, 2003.
Joey reveals that the jackpot for the 24 state lottery has been upped to $300 million leading to everyone except Ross to pool in for tickets, with Joey and Monica travelling to Connecticut to get them. Ross continuously plays down their chances until Monica convinces him to join in on it. Meanwhile, Chandler is receiving updates from his work colleague, Charlie, for a promotion to assistant at his advertising job with only one slot left, Charlie having the advantage due to his father as the boss. Also, Emma is set to say her first words and stays at Rachel's mother's for the night, Later, Chandler accidentally reveals that Monica had bought extra tickets leading everyone to fight about who should get extra.. Phoebe takes the bowl with all the tickets in and hangs it over the balcony, threatening to drop it unless they said friends was more important than money (Monica claimed she didn't care if they unfriended her after she would win). Phoebe says she wouldn't have done it anyway but a pigeon swoops down leading her to accidentally drop the bowl, breaking it and forcing the six to run around the street getting the tickets, losing half of them. They don't win the jackpot (though Phoebe wins $3) but over the phone, Emma says her first word as 'Gleeba' leading Ross to believe she's going to be a scientist. Phoebe also fakes a phone message from the pigeon apologizing for scaring her and not to blame her. Chandler finds out although he missed out on assistant he has been promoted to junior copywriter, Joey revealing that when he and Phoebe split a wish bone earlier, he had wished for Chandler to get the job, and not for them to win the lottery. The following day in Central Perk, Joey reveals that nobody won the jackpot. Gunther overhears and tells them that although no one won the jackpot, someone found a ticket in the street outside (presumably their's) and won $10,000. They glare at Phoebe who pretends to be the pigeon again.
Cast and Crew
Monica:(about Emma) How do you know she's gonna start talking?
Rachel: Well, when I talk to her I almost feel like she understands what I'm saying.
Chandler: Kind of like Joey...
Ross: Although if we're gonna do that, we should probably call me "Daddy" too.
Phoebe: [sexy tone] Oooh, I like that, "Daddy".
Ross: I-I was just talking about Rachel.
Phoebe: Oooh, is Daddy getting angry? Is Daddy gonna spank me?
Ross: [trying to be sexy] Well that depends, have you been a baad g- no, i can't
(Rachel is going to look up Emma's first word, "gleeba")
Ross: While you're at it, she said another word a few days ago. Could you also look up (makes spitting noise)?
- The "I never get picked!" line Rachel uses refers to "The One With The Football" (S3E9), where she's picked last in the football game.
- Ross being cheap is again referenced in this episode.
- This is the final appearance of Phill Lewis as Steve.
- This is the final appearance of Alexandra and Athina Conley as Emma Geller-Green. Although Emma appeared in 21-22 episodes of Friends, Alexandra and Athina only played her in 3 episodes.
- In this episode, Rachel is wearing an MC5 t-shirt, which alludes to the rock band MC5 (Motor City Five). MC5 was a popular Detroit based American rock band from the 1960s and 1970s known for such songs as "Teenage Lust" and "Kick Out The Jams."
- Ross mentions that he would like to solve the mystery of Amelia Earhart's disappearance. Amelia Earhart was the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean and also set many aviation records. She mysteriously disappeared over the Pacific during a circumnavigational flight in 1937.
- When Phoebe and Joey are holding the wishbone, the position of Joey's thumb changes between shots.
- At the start of the episode when the camera zooms in on Central Perk, you clearly see a man in a white t-shirt in the window. However when the camera changes it is an old man in black with a hat on, sitting next to a woman.
- When Phoebe runs out to the patio with the lotto tickets and the others chase her, the window between Chandler and Monica moves up and down in between shots.
- When Chandler is on the phone to find out if he got the job, he then hangs up and rolls up one of his sleeves. In the next shot of him both sleeves are rolled up. Then you can see his sleeves slip down again, but when it cuts to a closer shot, you can see they're rolled up again.
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Memorial Service"
|Series Nine Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With Rachel's Dream"