|The One With The Memorial Service|
|Season 9, episode 17|
|211th overall episode of Friends|
|Phoebe tries to get over her breakup with Mike.|
March 13, 2003
"The One With The Memorial Service" is the seventeenth episode of the ninth season of Friends, which aired on March 13, 2003.
Ross becomes a member of his college alumni site. When Ross annoys him and Joey, Chandler writes "Ross has sex with dinosaurs" on Ross' page. Ross creates a page for Chandler where he claims that Chandler is very gay. This leads to Chandler posting that Ross is dead (hit by a blimp). At first, Ross plans to post doctored photos of Chandler being gay, but then mocks Chandler that his fake comments on Ross' death didn't get any comments...until he realizes that this means none of his college friends care if he is dead. The two make up and, with Monica, throw a fake memorial service for Ross, where only two people show up: A male classmate who had a crush on Chandler and wants to get with him (and mistakes Monica for a transvestite due to a miscommunication) and a hot girl who revealed she had a crush on Ross. However, she is appalled when she finds out Ross was lying and that the whole thing was a childish game between the two adults. She storms out, but Ross is giddy over the fact that one of the hottest girls at his college had a crush on him.
Joey is not willing to give his favorite stuffed animal, Huggsy, to Emma. Joey buys another Huggsy, with the only difference is that there is a button on the new one and no button on Joey's. However, even though it is exactly the same (aside from the button), Emma hates the new one and wants the original. Finally Rachel explains that Emma loves Huggsy because it reminds her of Joey (though at the last second Joey changes his mind and keeps Huggsy anyway).
Cast and Crew
- In this episode Phoebe says "Monica Geller hyphen Bing" but we learn in The One With Princess Consuela that Monica didn't change her name. However, it's feasible Phoebe didn't know about this since we only find out about it later.
- In one scene, after Ross spread the rumor about Chandler being gay, Monica jokes that Chandler keeps making her watch Moulin Rouge!. Moulin Rouge! is a 2001 musical film by Baz Luhrmann about a poet who falls in love with a cabaret performer.
- In "The One with Joey's New Brain," Phoebe tells the cellphone guy that she lives in apartment 14. But in this episode when Mike and Monica are standing at Phoebe's door, and her apartment number, 16, is visible.
- After Phoebe kisses Mike in her apartment, Mike's friend rushes in and discovers them. As soon as the shot widens, Mike's hand moves from being behind Phoebes head to his lap.
- Just before Mike knocks on the door, Phoebe's handbag is open on the table. In the next shot after the commercial break, the bag is shown closed.
- When Monica shows up at Phoebe's apartment, she points out the men's shoes. If Phoebe lied when she told Monica that they're hers, it wouldn't make any sense because Mike doesn't show up until a few minutes later.
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Boob Job"
|Series Nine Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With The Lottery"
|<< Season 8||Season 9||Season 10 >>|
|#01||"The One Where No One Proposes"||#09||"The One With Rachel's Phone Number"||#17||"The One With The Memorial Service"|
|#02||"The One Where Emma Cries"||#10||"The One With Christmas In Tulsa"||#18||"The One With The Lottery"|
|#03||"The One With The Pediatrician"||#11||"The One Where Rachel Goes Back To Work"||#19||"The One With Rachel's Dream"|
|#04||"The One With The Sharks"||#12||"The One With Phoebe's Rats||#20||"The One With The Soap Opera Party"|
|#05||"The One With Phoebe's Birthday Dinner"||#13||"The One Where Monica Sings"||#21||"The One With The Fertility Test"|
|#06||"The One With The Male Nanny"||#14||"The One With The Blind Dates"||#22||"The One With The Donor"|
|#07||"The One With Ross' Inappropriate Song"||#15||"The One With The Mugging"||#23||"The One In Barbados, Part 1"|
|#08||"The One With Rachel's Other Sister"||#16||"The One With The Boob Job"||#24||"The One In Barbados, Part 2"|