|"The One With The Proposal, Part 1"|
Elizabeth throws a water balloon on Ross
|Written by|| Scott Silveri|
|Directed by||Kevin S. Bright|
|Guest stars|| Tom Selleck as Dr. Richard Burke |
Alexandra Holden as Elizabeth Stevens
Steve Hytner as Mr. Thompson
John Apicella as Mr. Bowmont
Natasha Pearce as Zoe
Tori McPetrie as Sarah
Anil Raman as First Dorm Guy
Jacqueline Schultz as Lisa
Tony Nichols as The Maitre D'
Alexandra Margulies as The Waitress
Steven Harad as Emil Alexander
Hunter Cochran as Second Dorm Guy
|Original airdate||May 18, 2000|
|← Previous||Next →|
| || |
"The One With The Proposal" is the double-length season finale of the sixth season of Friends. Both parts aired on May 18, 2000.
Ross is being questioned by his friends about his relationship with Elizabeth; mainly asking if the relationship is going anywhere. Ross quickly claims he and Elizabeth are great together, and his friends are all wrong... until he sees her having a water balloon fight with her buddies. Deciding she is too young, he breaks off the relationship. Afterward, Ross questions his decision, until Elizabeth confirms her immaturity by dropping water balloons on his head from her upstairs window.
Rachel takes Phoebe and Joey to a charity event helping children, including a silent auction. While Phoebe is obviously over-drinking, Joey has bigger problems; misunderstanding the silent auction process, Joey thought that bidders guessed an item's worth, with the prize going to the person with the closest guess. Joey "guesses" $20,000 and "wins" a yacht. Rachel and Joey try to convince the next highest bidder to buy the boat, but in the process of persuading the man of the boat's virtues, Joey changes his mind and wants it for himself.
Chandler has decided that it is time to propose to Monica. While at a restaurant, the two run into Monica's ex-boyfriend, Richard, who interrupts Chandler's proposal plan. When the others come home from the charity event, they constantly ask to see Monica's hand, thinking Chandler proposed already. Feeling that Monica will figure out that Chandler plans to propose, Phoebe and Joey suggest that Chandler pretend he hates the idea of marriage and never wants to get married. His plan turns for the worst when Richard returns and tells Monica that he made a mistake letting her go and he wants to marry her. Since Monica thinks Chandler will never want to marry, she begins to wonder about rekindling the flame with Richard.
Cast and CrewEdit
Tom Selleck - Dr. Richard Burke
Alexandra Holden - Elizabeth Stevens
Steve Hytner - Mr. Thompson
John Apicella - Mr. Beaumont
Natasha Pearce - Zoe
Tori McPetrie - Sarah
Anil Raman - First Dorm Guy
Jacqueline Schultz - Lisa
Tony Nichols - The Maitre D'
Alexandra Margulies - The Waitress
Steven Harad - Emil Alexander
Hunter Cochran - Second Dorm Guy
Kevin S. Bright
- There are several back references in this episode:
- When Monica and Richard are talking, they describe Monica's father's birthday party in The One Where Joey Moves Out.
- When Chandler tells about his parents, he references The One With All The Thanksgivings.
- When Richard declares his love for Monica in her kitchen, he backreferences their lunch from The One In Vegas (start of next episode).
- This is the first appearance of Richard since The One Where Monica and Richard Are Friends.
- This is the last appearance of Elizabeth Stevens.
- In the uncut DVD episode, Ross knocks on Elizabeth's door to break up with her.
- When Ross turns around in the water balloon fight Elizabeth is having, his suit is dry, but he was just hit by a water balloon.
- In the scene where Richard is being seated next to Chandler and Monica, the amount of champagne in Chandler's glass changes.
- When Rachel asks Joey "Why would a charity give away a free boat?" her hands are not visibile, but in the next shot, her hands are on the table.
- When the Mr. Bownont is seen arriving from inside the Central Perk, in this shot, Joey's right arm is on the couch's arm. In the next shot, his arm is on his lap.
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Ring"
|Series Six Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With The Proposal, Part 2"