|The One With The Soap Opera Party|
|Season 9, episode 20|
|214th overall episode of Friends|
|Ross and Rachel see Charlie and Joey kissing.|
April 24, 2003
Joey gives tickets for the five friends to see a one-woman show, saying he won't be able to go because he has to start working early the next morning. But Rachel finds out that he is planning a big party for all his co-workers from Days of Our Lives up on the roof, and that he had hide that from them because he's afraid they would all (especially Rachel) act too crazy if they are around famous stars. She ends up telling everyone else, except for Chandler, who because he's not here, goes to the one-woman show all alone.
Meanwhile, Ross meets a colleague, professor Charlie Wheeler and invites her to the party, thinking about dating her. At the party, Monica and Rachel act a little crazy with all the actors but Rachel can't hide her feelings for Joey, leading to some embarrassing moments. Ross is getting a little depressed after learning that Charlie only dated geniuses and Nobel Prize winners and feels below average with his PhD. But while Rachel is searching for Joey, having decided that that she would go and kiss him, Ross approaches her asking if she'd seen Charlie (probably to ask her out) and the two see Joey and Charlie kissing.
Cast and Crew
Matthew Ashford - Himself
Alex Borstein - Woman on Stage
Ethan Erickson - Dirk
Farah Fath - Herself
Ken Lerner - Dr. Spafford
Kyle Lowder - Himself
Heather Sims - Jan Rogers
Alexis Thorpe - Herself
Aisha Tyler - Charlie Wheeler
James Michael Tyler - Gunther
- This is the first appearance of Aisha Tyler as Charlie Wheeler in the series.
- This is the third and final appearance of the roof on top of the apartment building; it was previously seen in "The One With The Ballroom Dancing" (S4E4) and "The One Where They're Up All Night" (S7E12).
- Monica says "Have Mercy!"; Uncle Jesse's pickup line from Full House. Jesse is played by John Stamos, who later appears in the episode "The One With The Donor" (S9E22) as Zack, Chandler's co-worker.
- Two stars of the real version of the NBC daytime soap opera Days of Our Lives (1965) had cameos, attending Joey's rooftop 'Soap Opera' party as themselves; Kyle Lowder who played Brady Black from 2000 to 2005 and Matthew Ashford who played Jack Deveraux from 1987 to 2012.
- The end of the episode features the song 'Thrown Down' by Fleetwood Mac from their 2003 album 'Say You Will'
- The coffee house where Ross, Charlie and Dr. Spafford are conversing, it's the same one seen in The One Where Rachel Goes Back To Work (S9E11) when Joey and Phoebe are shooting a scene for Days Of Our Lives.
- There's two errors in Phoebe's line "Renyard's new theory of species variegation in segmented arthropods". First, "variegation" is a term for different color zones in leaves and stems of plants, and has nothing to do with arthropods. Second, all arthropods are segmented (that's what defines them as a group), making "segmented arthropods" redundant.
- Newcastle disease actually can infect humans, with Influenza-like symptoms.
- In the first scene when Monica and Rachel are talking about fooling around with Joey in the hall, Rachel begins talking about not doing anything and gets interrupted when Joey walks into the hall. When he opens up the door you can see the lighting above the apartment.
- When Chandler arrives at the party and asks Monica about her first period, she says she got it when she was 13 and then says it was very difficult. But if you look at her lips, she is mouthing something else.
- When Joey says "and I don't feel any different" in the scene where he is talking to Rachel in the party, Rachel's hand is on the cup on the table, but when the camera angle changes she's holding a napkin.
- When Ross brings Charlie back to the apartment and she takes a call on the phone, as the shot widens, the stage lighting can be seen above the bathroom door.
- At around 17:09, you can clearly tell that the New York City skyline behind the people is a set backdrop.
| Preceded by|
"The One With Rachel's Dream"
|Series Nine Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With The Fertility Test"
|<< Season 8||Season 9||Season 10 >>|
|#01||"The One Where No One Proposes"||#09||"The One With Rachel's Phone Number"||#17||"The One With The Memorial Service"|
|#02||"The One Where Emma Cries"||#10||"The One With Christmas In Tulsa"||#18||"The One With The Lottery"|
|#03||"The One With The Pediatrician"||#11||"The One Where Rachel Goes Back To Work"||#19||"The One With Rachel's Dream"|
|#04||"The One With The Sharks"||#12||"The One With Phoebe's Rats||#20||"The One With The Soap Opera Party"|
|#05||"The One With Phoebe's Birthday Dinner"||#13||"The One Where Monica Sings"||#21||"The One With The Fertility Test"|
|#06||"The One With The Male Nanny"||#14||"The One With The Blind Dates"||#22||"The One With The Donor"|
|#07||"The One With Ross' Inappropriate Song"||#15||"The One With The Mugging"||#23||"The One In Barbados, Part 1"|
|#08||"The One With Rachel's Other Sister"||#16||"The One With The Boob Job"||#24||"The One In Barbados, Part 2"|