|The One With The Tea Leaves|
|Season 8, episode 17|
|187th overall episode of Friends|
|Ross hides behind Mona's couch.|
March 7, 2002
"The One With The Tea Leaves" is the seventeenth episode of the eighth season of Friends, which aired on March 7, 2002.
Things have gone awkward between Joey and Rachel after their date the previous night. Rachel is desperate to get back on good terms with Joey, so she takes Monica's advice to change the subject to something work-related and ask his advice on a problem. However, she can't think of anything and ends up blurting out that her boss wants to buy her baby. Joey then goes to Rachel's work and yells at her boss. Rachel panics upon hearing this for the first time, but cheers up when she learns her boss is so afraid that she will sue that he gives her an extra month of maternity leave. However, it becomes awkward between them again which causes Rachel to blurt out another lie - "my gynecologist tried to kill me!".
When Phoebe reads her own tea leaves, she sees that she'll meet the man of her dreams soon. She assumes it is a guy she has been seeing practically every day on her errands, and finally talks to him. He asks her out despite being slightly bemused when she misunderstands the pretty obvious meaning of a remark he makes but when they go on the date, he intimidates her with a number of highly inappropriate, rude, and vulgar comments, seemingly just to amuse himself. He also claims, most likely lying in yet another attempt to intimidate her, to be a writer of "erotic novels for children" which are "wildly unpopular." Phoebe then has to find a new dry cleaning facility to avoid encountering her bullying date again, and meets a cheerful gentleman named Parker, who she finds more to her taste.
Ross left his pink (according to him, faded salmon colored) shirt at Mona's apartment. When he knocks on Mona's door, there is no response, but he finds a key and lets himself in. However, Mona and her date enter seconds later. When Mona's date's shirt has wine spilled on it, she offers him Ross' pink shirt. Ross hides behind the couch as the two begin to kiss passionately - when Mona takes off the shirt and tosses it aside, Ross attempts to get it by pulling the carpet, but this causes the table to move and Mona discovers his presence, which causes Ross to take the shirt and leave.
Mona shows up at his apartment later, telling him that she knows he came to her apartment because he still has feelings for her but tells him that it is too complicated and that it can never be. When she takes the pink shirt and asks Ross if she can keep it as something to remember him by, he curtly says no.
Cast and Crew
- Phoebe's date is based off a real boyfriend of one of the creators.
- This is the final appearance of Bonnie Somerville as Mona in the series.
- The magazine Ross is reading on his couch before Mona comes by is the magazine he was reading behind the couch in her apartment. In the uncut version, Ross leaves the apartment, but not before taking the magazine from a little table and stalking out the door.
- The restaurant outside Phoebe's new laundry place was Dot's Spot, the same place Monica went on a date with Chip Matthews in "The One With The Cat" (S4E2).
- The gray shirt Ross wears as he walks in Central Perk and asks the gang if they have seen his faded salmon shirt shows the hands saying "Friends" in American Sign Language.
- Monica asks Chandler why the Bruce Springsteen CD is in the Cat Stevens case. Bruce Springsteen is the reason why Courteney Cox became famous. Cox appeared in the 1984 music video for Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark" as the young woman pulled onstage at the St. Paul Civic Center to dance with Springsteen.
- Although Phoebe's tea leaf predictions for her and Monica do not come true immediately, it can be argued that they were each fulfilled in "The One With The Pediatrician", where Phoebe meets future husband Mike Hannigan and Monica gets a new job at a higher-class restaurant.
- In the previous episode (which supposedly takes place the night before), when Joey poured out his feelings to Rachel, she barely looked pregnant. Suddenly she looks at least 6-8 months pregnant; in fact, she can barely stand on her feet.
- Phoebe dates Jim after seeing him everywhere while out on her errands, but finds him so intimidating due to his creepy, perverted, bullying comments that she tells Monica she will never return to any of the places she encountered him. However, he was also a regular customer in the coffee shop, and was seen in there at the beginning of the episode, so logic would suggest that she would avoid going to the coffee shop as well, yet she seemed comfortable going there without having to worry about him in later episodes, but the reason for this is never revealed. It is however possible that he may have been scared away by her friends.
- Phoebe reads the gang's tea leaves to tell their fortunes. But a coffee house like Central Perk is unlikely to offer a lot more than basic Lipton sachets - certainly not loose tea leaves.
- Monica's Kitchenaid standmixer in this episode is pink, where in the last episode and many others, the mixer is yellow.
| Preceded by|
"The One Where Joey Tells Rachel"
|Season Eight Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One In Massapequa"