|The One With The Thumb|
|Season 1, episode 3|
|3rd overall episode of Friends|
|Phoebe spotting a thumb in her can.|
October 6, 1994
Phoebe comes back from an unsuccessful date, which prompts the gang to discuss dating euphemisms. Ross reveals that he did not know his parents hid the fact that his dog had passed away. Monica is reluctant to introduce her new boyfriend, Alan, to her friends because they have mocked all of her previous boyfriends. To her surprise, after meeting Alan, they tell her that they love him. However, she later realizes that she does not feel a spark between Alan and herself. She asks her friends if they think that he can sometimes be a little "too Alan". The two break up, and Alan mentions that although he enjoyed being with Monica, he was irritated by the rest of the friends.
Joey has a part in a play where he has to smoke, and practices smoking with Chandler, who resumes his old smoking habit, much to the group's irritation. Phoebe becomes very agitated with her bank when they accidentally put an extra $500 in her bank account. Not able to use the money due to guilt, Phoebe informs the bank of this error. She receives a football phone for the inconvenience. However, instead of removing the $500 from her account, they add another $500 to it. She gives the money and the phone away to Lizzy, a homeless acquaintance. Lizzy buys her a can of soda out of gratitude. When Phoebe opens it, she finds a human thumb, so she receives compensation from the soda company of $7,000. The episode ends with Phoebe giving the $7,000 to Chandler if he promises to never smoke again, which he agrees to.
Cast and Crew
- This is the first appearance of Chandler and Joey's apartment.
- This is first time where Chandler is seen at work.
- This is the first time where Chandler's smoking habit is shown, a running gag in the show.
- Chandler complains to Ross about over pronouncing every single word. Ironically, in "The One With The Ick Factor" (S1E22), the group is making fun of Chandler because of his pronunciation.
- This is one of the few episodes that is actually recorded on the street.
- Although Phoebe gives Chandler $7000 to never smoke again, it is seen in later episodes that he does smoke again.
- This is the first mention of Monica and Ross's dog Chi-Chi. The dog comes up again in The One In Massapequa when Monica uses a picture of the dog in her speech in an attempt to make the guests cry.
- When Phoebe is talking about the $500 in her bank account in the coffeehouse , her cup turns around when the shot changes.
- Whilst Paula and Monica are talking about Alan in their first scene, the colour of the salad dressing dispensers in front of them swap over at one point even though no one has touched them.
- Phoebe goes to take a drink from the soda can even though there's a thumb in there at the end of the coffeehouse scene.
- Phoebe: "...And I found 500 extra bucks in my account."
- Chandler: "Ohhh, Satan's minions at work again!"
- Phoebe: "It's not mine! If I kept it, it would be like stealing!"
- Rachel: "Yeah, but if you spent it, it would be like shopping!"
- Rachel: "I should really get back to work."
- Phoebe: "Yeah. Otherwise, someone might get what they actually ordered."
- Rachel: "Oh ho ho. The hair comes out and the gloves come off."
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Sonogram At The End"
|"The One With The Thumb"|| Followed by |
"The One With George Stephanopoulos"