|The One With The Two Parties|
|Season 2, episode 22|
|46th overall episode of Friends|
|Monica works at the Moondance Diner.|
May 2, 1996
At Monica's new workplace, the Moondance Diner, the guys discuss Rachel's birthday. Monica wants to throw a classy party, but the others disagree.The invite list is almost made up, but on Rachel's revelation that her parents yelled at each other during her sister's graduation, Monica invites only Rachel's mother to the party.
As the party's about to start, Rachel's father shows up unexpectedly. The guys hide him in Rachel's room when Rachel's mother shows up for the party. Phoebe distracts Mrs. Green while the guys take Dr. Green to their apartment, along with streamers from the party. Following their romantic dinner, Rachel is "surprised" to find a party for her, although not as surprised to have two parties - each of which has one of her parents.
Quickly things begin to go wrong. Monica rules over her party with an iron fist, complete with boring games and a strict adherence to the rules. As a result, guests start abandoning the party and heading to Chandler and Joey's bash, which is a lot more fun and laidback. Meanwhile, Ross tries to bond with Rachel's parents, but makes a fool of himself. Rachel, on the other hand, has other problems on her mind, as she tries to spend time with both her mother and her father but the two find only things to say about each other, which is driving her crazy. When Ross goes to fetch Rachel's dad his favourite drink and his glasses, Sandra spots him and recommends Rachel see a therapist (believing she is dating a man who reminds her of her father).
Amazingly, despite numerous problems, the six friends manage to get both of Rachel's parents out of the parties without seeing each other. As Dr. Green leaves Monica's, Joey turns Rachel's mom and kisses her on the lips until Rachel's dad is gone. Mrs. Green slaps Joey lovingly on the cheek, exclaiming how this was the best party she's been to in years.
- Rachel hypotheses that her father will get a condo and her sister will decorate it in wicker. In "The One With Rachel's Other Sister" (S9E8), Rachel's sister Amy mentions she decorated their father's office.
- The name of Rachel's sister Jill is confirmed in this episode; Jill later appears in "The One With Rachel's Sister" (S6E13).
- This is the only episode Rachel's parents appear in together.
- Despite Joey telling Ross that he "broke the code" by making out with Chandler's mom in "The One With Mrs. Bing" (S1E11), he kisses Rachel's mom at the end of this episode. It's also true, however, that as the guys are avoiding making her and her ex-husband meet at any cost, this wouldn't count as a genuine gesture on his behalf but only a desperate measure to call for in desperate times.
- Ross is shown not to bond very much with Rachel's dad - especially when the former makes a fool of himself and is then caught wearing the latter's glasses and having one of his cigarettes in his mouth. Only at the end of the seventh episode of Season 3 do the two bond a little. However, the bonding is very temporary and following the Season 3 episode, Ross and Dr. Green fall back to disliking each other onwards.
- In this episode Rachel's dad smokes, however in other episodes Rachel says her father shouted at her for smoking once, though this could be because he doesn't want her to have his habit.
- Gunther wears a wedding ring while talking to Phoebe about leaving Monica's party.
- Monica shouts in Joey and Chandler's "Hey, You and you, you are meant to be at my party!!", while Rachel's father was there. However, they didn't want him to know about the other party. Although it is possible that he did not hear Monica over the music.
- Several goofs involving the characters arms are shown:
- When Phoebe is planning to get the people out of Monica's party, when she says "There isn't time!" her right arm's position change between shots.
- When Rachel's mom says "You've chosen a boyfriend exactly like your father." her arms change between these shots.
- Later, when Rachel is talking to Chandler, she says "My mom there, my dad there. Thanksgiving, Christmas." the position of her left arm also change between shots.
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Bullies"
|"The One With The Two Parties"|| Followed by |
"The One With The Chicken Pox"