|The One With The Blackout|
Rachel and Ross talk during the blackout.
|Written by|| Jeff Astrof|
|Directed by||James Burrows|
|Guest stars|| Larry Hankin - Mr. Heckles|
|Original airdate||November 3, 1994|
|← Previous||Next →|
| || |
"The One With The Blackout" was the seventh episode of the first season of Friends.
When a power-cut blacks out most of New York City (due to a mishap on Mad About You). Chandler, to his delight finds himself trapped inside an ATM vestibule with Victoria's Secret model Jill Goodacre. She lets him use her cell-phone, and offers him gum which he instantly regrets refusing. He accidentally spits out her gum which he finally accepted, then picks up some to put back in his mouth and begins to choke when he realizes it wasn't the original gum. The others kill time in Monica's apartment, lit by the light from a Menorah, telling stories of the weirdest places they ever had sex. Joey tells Ross he waited too long moving onto Rachel and is now too far into the 'friend zone.' Ross still tries to make a move on Rachel while stargazing on the balcony. Joey keeps the other girls inside by pretending Ross prepares a birthday surprise party for Monica. A wandering cat jumps on Ross' shoulders, and there is an amusing scene where he panics and flails about, trying to throw the cat off of him, causing the cat to dig its claws into his shoulder as it desperately holds on. Rachel and Phoebe go knocking on their neighbor's doors to find the cat's owner, and when a neighbour named Mr. Heckles lies about being the owner, they see through his bluff. On their mission, they bump into the hunky, and actual cat-owner, Paolo, who only speaks Italian. Rachel brings him back to the apartment where he outstrips Ross's flirting, even not being able to speak English.
Cast and CrewEdit
- This is the first appearance of Paolo in the series.
- Paolo's lines in this episode translate into the following:
- When he introduces himself to the guys: "Hi guys, I just moved in and I live in the floor below this so I'll guess we'll see quite a lot of each other."
- When Rachel introduces Paolo to Phoebe: "Phoebe, you're gorgeous too! If you're all this beautiful I'll move right here!"
- When serenading Rachel: "Look at the moon, look at the stars, look at everything that's beautiful."
- Phoebe lets it slip to Joey that Monica had a crush on him when he first moved in, something which Monica wanted to keep a secret. This is shown in "The One With The Flashback" (S3E6), where Joey is actually seen moving in.
- In the uncut DVD version of this episode, Monica ends up confessing to Joey that she liked his arms when she first saw him. This leads to Joey flirting with Monica using his arms; Monica, now over her crush, makes him shut up.
- Monica keeps her (sexual) crush on Joey secret until "The One With The Truth About London" (S7E16), when Phoebe makes her reveal that she wanted to have sex with Joey on the eve of Ross's wedding with Emily and not with Chandler.
- When Rachel is walking down the hall meeting Paolo for the first time, she has a candle and her shadow is visible. This is physically impossible as the candle is the only light.
- In a later episode, Phoebe is seen speaking fluent Italian to Joey's nana. When asked about whether she speaks Italian by a shocked Joey, she stated that she 'guessed so'. This brings up the possibility that Phoebe, in fact, understood everything that Paolo said, as, at a stretch, 'You betcha' is an acceptable response to Paolo's compliment.
- Pheobe: "Can I borrow the phone? I wanna call my apartment and check on my grandma. Wait..What's my number? ... Well, I never call me."
- Joey: "You waited too long to make your move and now you're in the 'friend zone'. Ross: "No no no, I'm not in the 'friend zone'. Joey: "No, Ross. You're the mayor of the zone.".
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Butt"
|"The One With The Blackout"|| Followed by |
"The One Where Nana Dies Twice"